Treesner

self piercing rivets

anyone have any experience with self piercing rivets? preferably with a hand press attachment?

looking to speed up my need of riveting 2 pieces of rubber strap together (pretty similar to leather) 

In life, you often get a choice of two out of three. Speed, cost and beauty is one of them. If it's pretty and fast then it won't come cheap. You seem to wantvfast, and hand-held indicates cheap, so it won't be pretty. That's my penniworth, take it or leave it.

9 minutes ago, Rahere said:

In life, you often get a choice of two out of three. Speed, cost and beauty is one of them. If it's pretty and fast then it won't come cheap. You seem to wantvfast, and hand-held indicates cheap, so it won't be pretty. That's my penniworth, take it or leave it.

this is not something that needs to be pretty no, more of a production thing and backside is pretty well hidden 

One issue's possibly copper rot. In the 1980s a kind of cancer was causing a problem, latex and rubber variously turned crystalline or runny/gummy, and the thing spread as if catalytically. It was tracked down by a process of elimination to metalwork containing copper or copper alloys, which were studiously avoided. This doesn't seem to be an issue now, but I don't know why, I didn't have time to follow. Perhaps they've changed the formulation.

Hand-set eyelets are very likely to be copper-cored, even if coated, and the act of setting opens hairline cracks.

Don't know about self piercing but depending on the density of the rubber might be worth looking at pop rivets with a speed riviter like lazy tongs.

If you go down the pop rivet road, you can get automatic pop riveters, which work as fast as an semi-automatic gun. You can get types which run off compressed air or are battery operated ie cordless. I did some work with a place which rebuilt old trucks and buses and the workers there used a compressed air type. They put in the rivets faster than you could sneeze

https://www.hansonrivet.com/tools-machines/blind-pop-advel-tools/pop-blind-rivet-tools/pop-rivet-feeding-systems/

I thought that Weaver did a self piercing rivet (w/ appropriate dies for their hand and foot presses) but can't find them on their site now. Maybe worth an email?

104 rivets are self-piercing set with a Little Wonder or larger press from Weaver. Well worth the investment. You can set with a cap or splash anvil. The 104 setter die comes w the Little Wonder. I think you have to buy the anvil to set caps. --John

On 9/16/2020 at 6:37 AM, Squilchuck said:

104 rivets are self-piercing set with a Little Wonder or larger press from Weaver. Well worth the investment. You can set with a cap or splash anvil. The 104 setter die comes w the Little Wonder. I think you have to buy the anvil to set caps. --John

the weaver pieces fit in my hiker press thanks for the idea I'll have to see if the 104 star back works with my rubber. it looks 

thanks for the idea 

On 9/16/2020 at 4:57 AM, Matt S said:

I thought that Weaver did a self piercing rivet (w/ appropriate dies for their hand and foot presses) but can't find them on their site now. Maybe worth an email?

they do thanks I'm going to see if it works with my material that would be convenient