Woodshed

Axe and Sheath for presentation

I have a neighbor who took it upon himself to remove a very dangerous tree from my yard. It was so tall that when it started to fall it became snagged in the surrounding trees and could have fallen at any time, and had to be removed. He looked at it and said he could get it down. He drives a truck and is only home a couple days a week, yet he took a morning to help me and the tree is down. I want to thank him in a memorable way, it was such an act of kindness. 

So starting with a double-bit axe head I got on eBay, I made him this axe and sheath to be presented to him in appreciation of what he did. The axe head is an old one, probably pre-1960. The bits are a very hard steel and had never been profiled and sharpened properly, so I rectified that situation and the bits are now properly profiled and sharpened to a razors edge.

I just finished up the sheath this morning. I think all-in-all it will make for a very fine presentation and expression of my gratitude.

20200916_104212.thumb.jpg.06b33b1e089142011e506e679a8c53d1.jpg

20200916_104212.jpg

Here is a shot of the back side.

20200916_104225.jpg

Very beautiful work!

Very nice, its always nice to give a handmade gift in appreciation.

Todd

Very nice. I'm sure he will appreciate that!

Excellent! Would love to see the axe head as well.

I made an axe sheath for a coworker who helped me drop a tree in my front yard but it was nowhere near this nice. He doesn’t know what he’s missing! :P

The axe head is unbranded, but its bits are as tough a steel as any I've yet to sharpen, so tough I thought all my files had gone dull (they are not dull, verified by subsequently re-profiling a different axe head). To get to the finished profile took a lot of work with the files followed by an hour or so of using a puck made from a cheap water stone from a local Asian market. As shown, the right bit is just a bit longer than the left bit; as the sheath was patterned directly off the head the fit is best when the face shown is towards the front.

20200917_160606.jpg

beautiful work on both!!!!