Chris623

Needles

Yup!  My late Uncle always used to add when introducing me to someone that I was just a grown up Boy Scout lookiin' for my next merit badge! :lol:

27 minutes ago, Chris623 said:

Thanks for the links, "Bohunk".   (had to look that one up!) 

When I was last in Tandy's they had a 3-Book series on sheath making.  Written by David Holter.  It was a spiral-bound book that would lay open on a table so you could work as you looked at it.  I thought it a bit pricey at $25 plus tax for each book but ome day I might buy the set.  A quick browse through looked as it it would be pretty nice to have to get started.

I had a look at those books and thought well, yes, they're OK and nice to have but not for the high price demanded

Watch YT videos for free, and put your money into decent leatherworking tools - and the leather of course! As I posted earlier there are loads of videos and you'll soon pick it up

Try making something simple first, like a key fob, you'll still be using the techniques of pattern making; cutting out; saddle stitch; edge finishing 

Simple?  Naw, I never do that.  I just dive in and do it.  Here are some pics of my first sheath knife.  Wasn't simple by any means. 

p3988603062-3.jpg

p3988603063-3.jpg

p3988603065-3.jpg

Never got to make a sheath for it.......................it sold too fast! :banana:

Edited by Chris623

I kept hearing great things about John James, so I ordered a pack. I was extremely disappointed when I got them and saw the Made in China label. :ranting2:

I guess I'll order C. S. Osborne next time.

China can produce top grade stuff with very high quality control same as any other country, and at the same time some companies all over the world produce low cost low quality goods for a different market

Boeing  mad the 737-max and look how that's been pulled apart for bad design and poor quality control. I am sure there are simular failures in most countries

12 hours ago, Chris623 said:

Simple?  Naw, I never do that.  I just dive in and do it.  Here are some pics of my first sheath knife.  Wasn't simple by any means. 

p3988603062-3.jpg

p3988603063-3.jpg

p3988603065-3.jpg

Never got to make a sheath for it.......................it sold too fast! :banana:

great first knife ida kept it lol. as a display model of course.

Thanks, Chuck.  I filed the bevels by hand on this one.  "Had" to sell it because I was saving money for my 2x72. (another toy for the shop)  I'm sure you know how it goes!  The more toys the better, but they cost.

4 hours ago, Chris623 said:

Thanks, Chuck.  I filed the bevels by hand on this one.  "Had" to sell it because I was saving money for my 2x72. (another toy for the shop)  I'm sure you know how it goes!  The more toys the better, but they cost.

yea i know full well i would have to sell a bazillion knives to recoup. Don't tell the wife lol. 

Get's expensive to set up a forge and knife shop and my little wife is none too happy when UPS comes down the driveway!

28 minutes ago, Chris623 said:

Get's expensive to set up a forge and knife shop and my little wife is none too happy when UPS comes down the driveway!

ah, there the leather work has the advantage.

As you make the knife sheaths you can knock up some small personal items for wifey, then she'll forgive you and luv you even more,  ;)  :lol:

Maybe, maybe not............we'll just have to see.  :unsure: 

57 minutes ago, fredk said:

ah, there the leather work has the advantage.

As you make the knife sheaths you can knock up some small personal items for wifey, then she'll forgive you and luv you even more,  ;)  :lol:

not to mention a couple paring knives for the kitchen lol or even a full set. 

Ha-ha.  She refuses to let me make any kitchen knives for her because she'll just cut herself.  She uses dull bargain store steak knives to do all her kitchen stuff.  Hurts my feelings, because as you say I could easily provide custom kitchen cutlery for her.  Told her I've got a nice paring knife in the process for her and she asked "WHY???  You know I won't use it."  Oh well, "the worst shoes in town are on the cobbler's son".