would you put a small rivet at the top of the stitching? At the case opening.  If so what kind?

20200920_110430.jpg

I wouldn’t - I  think it makes it look cheap.  Hand stitching should be adequate to keep it together!

Nice job, by the way!

Edited by garypl

20 minutes ago, garypl said:

I wouldn’t - I  think it makes it look cheap.  Hand stitching should be adequate to keep it together!

Nice job, by the way!

ditto unless you left out the welt.

On this, No, I'd not put a rivet

If you really wanted to, use a fancy one like a dome head in gunmetal grey or black, not brassy 'gold' or nickle 'silver'

dome head rivets;  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Domed-single-cap-rivets-9-mm-10-mm-or-12-mm-cap-diameter-Studs-Sewing-Leather/181283064215?hash=item2a35500997:g:XKYAAOSwl~ZbPKcH

Where both sides of the rivet can be seen I don't like the unfinished look of the stem base on these so I replace the stem with one from a double head rivet

or use a fancy Chicago Screw; https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10x-Floral-Round-Head-Stud-Leather-Belt-Wallet-Bag-Chicago-Screw-Back-Nail-Rivet/112504603559?var=412892744784

Rivets are usually put in cheap stuff . . . so it won't come apart.  They don't put in a welt . . . so the knife cuts the stitches . . . voila . . . it comes apart.

SOooooo they put a rivet in there to keep it together . . . and your knife drags across the rivet . . . dulling it faster than skinning two democrats.

Nahhhh . . . no rivets . . . put in a good welt to protect the blade . . . that is the American way.

May God bless,

Dwight

I agree with everybody...no rivet. But, I  am curious about your stamping. It looks like one of sergys border stamps, is it? just curious. he has a lot of beautiful stamps, not bad price either. got two of his swivel knives. one of them is skull and skeleton hands. nice work though.

I do put a welt in the sheaths I make.  Skive them down some towards the tip. 

The stamp is a Tandy E294,  turning a little bit each time. 20200908_211536.thumb.jpg.8e03a02e0832e0826e93769f8daeb904.jpg

And Thanks for the praise 

I'm not a fan of rivets.  They have their place - esp. for decoration - but proper stitching will hold as good as anything and you don't risk corrosion or scratching something.  I've seen so many sheaths and holsters where the maker did a good job but then decided to add rivets to make it look strong and instead just made it look cheap.  You used to see kid's cap gun holsters with rivets like that.

You made a pretty nice looking and solid sheath.  Take a bow and move on to the next one.

Thanks for the kinds words on my sheath!

No rivet it is! Now I have only been doing 2 back stitches so far. Do any of you put more than that in?

Thanks again

No rivet! Proper stitching is stronger than a rivet anyway. I have tested this myself and the stitching holds up better under stress. Assuming of course there is a welt as previously mentioned. I agree that rivets are used on cheap stuff.

15 hours ago, DaveP said:

Thanks for the kinds words on my sheath!

No rivet it is! Now I have only been doing 2 back stitches so far. Do any of you put more than that in?

Thanks again

If you used an awl to make the holes, and you did the stitching right, 2 back stitches should be just fine.

The only reason I say that is I've seen people drill out the holes and then there's not much leather to close back up tight on the stitches.

I'm not drilling the holes. I used a stitching chisel and slightly opened the back from the front with a small diamond awl. All seams are glued with contact cement as well.