EBK

Best way to make an old belt last longer?

I haven't really worked with leather before so I'm a bit out of my depth but I have an old belt that is starting to fall apart but it is quite important to me and I would like to be able to keep wearing it if possible. It isn't lined or anything it's just one piece of leather with stitching down the sides which is all starting to unravel. It also has a few surface cracks and the shape is quite warped. The best idea i have so far is to contact cement a thin backing onto it and then re-sew the edges. Is this going to be a lot harder than it looks or are there a lot of problems I'll probably run into? I'm fine with the sewing, cutting, detail work etc but have no experience with leather specifically and I really don't want to ruin it. I'm not really concerned with restoring its appearance as much as conserving its ability to hold my trousers up without breaking.  If anyone has any helpful tips it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Keep the buckle. Buy a strap.

Tom

Pics would help us diagnose and guide you. If it is a typical store bought belt it'll likely be "leather" with some kind of paperboard core and some other "leather" enclosing it. You could do as you suggest by cementing a real piece of leather to it and sewing it all back together but a commercial belt is a commercial belt. The pics would help determine if that is so. If it is a real leather belt I am unsure why it'd be stitched if it isn't lined aside from aesthetics.

Anyway, a picture or so would get you a lot further.

You dont say where you are

One of the easiest things to do is visit a tack shop )horse gear) or leather shop, Google etc and buy a small tin of leather conditioner/ Balm in the uk they sell from about £10 and up, apply it to the leather as directed

For a novice to resew a average leather belt with saddle stitch top and bottom you must assume 5 hours plus, alternative leave alone and apply some super glue on the inside where the stitches are breaking down to stop them getting worse

It could be hard to hole match if using a sewing machine and new inside leather strip

Condition first use plenty of balm and see how it looks

Without seeing pictures everything is just a guess but even for a seasoned leather worker it would be difficult to add a liner and sew it in.  Since it is well seasoned you would probably run into issues getting the glue to stick to the existing belt even with contact cement plus using the old holes to sew would be difficult at best.  Best advice I can offer is if it is a keepsake then put away and only wear it on special occasions and get a new belt for everyday wear.

Todd

Hey man.  I restored an old family heirloom belt that a guys great grand daddy wore

There was simply no restore to it  What I did was glue the old belt to a new buffalo strip

Then hand sewed the old through the old holes into the new leather.  It took me about 12 hours of sewing to pull it off and it was tedious work

BUT. the guy was happy as hell to be wearing Great Grand dads belt 

I under charged the guy. My bill was $100.00 cash 

Belt.thumb.jpg.57527d3f104b2415a4b648940b37dd21.jpgThanks for all the advice! I don't think it's paperboard it's only one piece I guess the stitches are just for the effect? Sorry for not putting in the picture before, I couldn't work out how to do it but I think this will work? It's a bit grubby looking. Maybe I will get some conditioner for it and then just not wear it as much? I don't mind it taking a long time to repair but if it's going to be really difficult I might not risk it. Thank you everyone!

16 minutes ago, EBK said:

Belt.thumb.jpg.57527d3f104b2415a4b648940b37dd21.jpgThanks for all the advice! I don't think it's paperboard it's only one piece I guess the stitches are just for the effect? Sorry for not putting in the picture before, I couldn't work out how to do it but I think this will work? It's a bit grubby looking. Maybe I will get some conditioner for it and then just not wear it as much? I don't mind it taking a long time to repair but if it's going to be really difficult I might not risk it. Thank you everyone!

not difficult just time consuming to resew it i would clean it up and sew a liner on the back or just resew the stitching and use some saddle soap and conditioner on it. 

soak it in neets foot oil  ,   then wipe it down. if it is brittle after that. it is trash

55 minutes ago, Frodo said:

soak it in neets foot oil  ,   then wipe it down. if it is brittle after that. it is trash

If you soak too long (apply too much NFO) then the belt will be soggy and headed for the trash.

Tom

Agreed do not soak it for to long it will saturate the leather loosening the fibres, also heat the NFO UNTIL TEPID NOT TO HOT this will help it penetrate the fibres better.

Maybe add a thin layer of leather on the flesh side to help strengthen the belt. Also feed the leather from time to time.

Hope this helps

JCUK

Edited by jcuk