chrisash

Mass production of wallets using laser engraver

Found this youtube video and though of you guys and girls

It shows how you can individually but at the same time mass produce leather goods with the help of a laser engraver. I guess the majority of the work is making a set of templates with fixed positions for images and messages which is not hard on most cad software. the video shows a few being done at the same time , but nothing to stop you doing one as and when required

I imagine most would use a cheap machine like this https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=20+watt+laser+engravers&newwindow=1&sxsrf=ALeKk01xP2X3GNZf0vXDzOxC1JEbCgewTg:1600687891350&source=lnms&tbm=shop&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiwzKOJk_rrAhUUVBUIHfTJAIYQ_AUoAXoECAsQAw&biw=1366&bih=625#spd=6727740400982699999_0

Anyway here is the link to the video

Edited by chrisash

cool - like it - but my 1st though was: kinda poor stitching and he later on solved the riddle in the video - a patcher. The guy spent big $ on the laser thingy but then bought a... lets say  "not so good" leather sewing machine. If I had a suggestion for him - buy a better sewing machine!

But the idea really is nice!

Edited by Constabulary

why? Anyone can buy that kind of product at Walmart.

The thread is about the laser cutting & engraving technology and not $6 Walmart wallets - I guess. My "Like it" was probably not obvious enough - I like the cutting engraving technology and though I'm not in the market for this but its interesting.

I can think of quite a lot of markets like the Military, Police, etc where a small low cost items can be sold to teams with their logo on , Zippo lighters make a market about 80 years ago doing  a similar thing

Edited by chrisash

The spec you will need to look into is what is the max run time before cool is needed. So a cheap laser may not be the best route if you are looking for something that can run half a day to all day long. For example, I have heard and read that the GlowForge Basic can only run a couple hours before needing a cool down. But the GlowForge Pro can run all day long. So depending on your volume, it can totally be a viable solution to ramp up production.

1 hour ago, Constabulary said:

The thread is about the laser cutting & engraving technology and not $6 Walmart wallets - I guess. My "Like it" was probably not obvious enough - I like the cutting engraving technology and though I'm not in the market for this but its interesting.

I understand you like it and don't mean anything about your tastes or likes personally it is some cool easy to do technology indeed. But you have to agree that wallet looks like something from Walmarts closeout section, the stitching, the machine marks and then a laser printed picture from some computer image program. It just is nothing I would want on my stuff it makes it look cheaply made IMO i wouldn't want my name on it. 

Agree - looks kinda cheap but the guy has more a laser affinity than leather affinity as it seems. I indeed would not pay a dime for this wallet as shown but some old sailors may like the picture ;)

This is a good example why patchers should not be considered as suitable (mass) production machines in the leather trade, I think.

Edited by Constabulary

The stitching sucks, and that’s a shame since otherwise he’s made a fairly nice wallet. I’d have gone with one laser design per wallet instead of four, but that’s a matter of personal taste and I have no doubt these will find a market.

Overall I’d say if you don’t like the look of laser engraved leather then the ‘3D printers and lasers’ sub-forum is probably going to disappoint you.

Edited by Retswerb

Its a great way of adding value, if you have the right machine and know how to use it. My only criticism (of the engraving, not the wallet), is that the laser settings aren't quite right, the main image is too dark and the mid tones are poor..

On 9/21/2020 at 7:30 AM, chuck123wapati said:

why? Anyone can buy that kind of product at Walmart.

I disagree his wallet's are customized , buyers can ask for custom designs and words to make it personnel .

no offense to the maker but this seems like a swap meet $15/20 wallet. i get that its handmade and all but there very little finesse in what hes doing and it still looks cheap.

3 hours ago, Bert03241 said:

I disagree his wallet's are customized , buyers can ask for custom designs and words to make it personnel .

ok in a real world people are allowed to disagree not darn thing wrong with that.

If what you can do, is something ANYBODY can do...