LiftPig

Vinyl Mask?

Has anyone tried using vinyl cut-outs as a mask for dye?  

I have a client who wants his company logo on some leather.  It's too small and intricate to carve, at least with my skills. I was thinking if I made a vinyl cut-out of his logo, stuck it to the leather, and then lightly airbrushed several light coats of dye, I could get the logo how he wants it.  I realize a laser etcher would do this but I don't have one nor access to one.  I do have access to a vinyl cutter, though.

Just curious on everyone's thoughts.

Dye has an annoying habit of following the fibres, making a small logo ill-defined. Resist may be a little better, but not good enough. Test on some scrap.
You could get it etched by someone else, then cut to size and sew it on.

Like Rahere stated, this really looks like a job for a laser engraving service.
That's what I did for this project: <http://djole.altervista.org/djole/Publications/Leather/Walpurgis Wallet/WalpurgisWallet.htm>
I looked at the design (show below as turned into a vector graphic), and said to myself "Tooling is not the way to go for this!"
So for 13 dollars, I had it engraved onto the leather, and I had the shop use their laser to cut the project from the hide, too. 
It turned out very nice.

walpurgisBandW.jpg

Finished Exterior.jpg

Edited by DJole