McCarthy

Does anyone laser etch their patterns directly onto the leather?

Correct Amigo. The lower power lasers also have a shorter focal distance, which makes for a smaller beam, therefore giving you a more precise greyscale print or engrave. Also the CO2 lasers don't fire much below 18-20%, so a 150 watt laser will only go down to about 30 watts to fire. Much to high for many engraving jobs. We have a 150w for mainly cutting, which we use in the 40-60% range. We also have a 60watt (Which tests @ 48watts,since new)which we use in the 20-50% range for engraving and dithered greyscale.

The Beamo or Beambox Pro has a40 or 50w laser, but with the option of adding a $300 diode laser for engraving. So, you get a laser cutter that can also engrave. Best of both worlds!

On 1/29/2021 at 1:37 AM, Bert03241 said:

hAVEN'T READ ALL THE POST AND i KNOW THIS IS OLD BUT THE REASON OPps you don't engrave well is you have to much power. Lasers over 80 watts have a hard time dialing down the power to engrave

I have RF ceramicore tubes so can dial down with no issues. Your answer is correct for the cheaper glass tube laser sources. Engraving is fine leaather is difficult to cut with a laser because the thickness is too variable to get consistent results.

Edited by Lfrog
add more information

On 2/1/2021 at 12:30 PM, Technomagus said:

The Beamo or Beambox Pro has a40 or 50w laser, but with the option of adding a $300 diode laser for engraving. So, you get a laser cutter that can also engrave. Best of both worlds!

You should have no trouble engraving with a 40 or 50 watt co2 laser, no need to add $300 for a usless diode laser. Just someone trying to take advantage of people that don't know lasers.My 60 watt engraves and cut just fine.And engraves a lot faster then any diode laser.

On 2/1/2021 at 7:11 AM, Frankqv said:

Correct Amigo. The lower power lasers also have a shorter focal distance, which makes for a smaller beam, therefore giving you a more precise greyscale print or engrave. Also the CO2 lasers don't fire much below 18-20%, so a 150 watt laser will only go down to about 30 watts to fire. Much to high for many engraving jobs. We have a 150w for mainly cutting, which we use in the 40-60% range. We also have a 60watt (Which tests @ 48watts,since new)which we use in the 20-50% range for engraving and dithered greyscale.

So your so called 60 watt is really a 40 watt that they over drive to call it 60. Your tube is probably 1010mm long.

Length=1010mm, Diameter=51mm Expected Life: 2000+ hours Laser Tube, 40 Watt (48 Watts MAX, 40 Watts nominal)  ..

On 9/27/2020 at 10:06 AM, LatigoAmigo said:

I bought my laser with the sole purpose of cutting leather because I wanted my edges to be perfectly smooth, and to be able to manage the size and spacing of my lacing holes. I think that I have be successful. I think the issue is the size of the laser. Mine is a 100 watt CO2 laser. Although it does a fine job cutting, it does not do fine etching very well.

Finished-Bag.jpg

What brand laser do you have? Any etching examples?

On 4/18/2021 at 6:13 PM, Bert03241 said:

So your so called 60 watt is really a 40 watt that they over drive to call it 60. Your tube is probably 1010mm long.

Length=1010mm, Diameter=51mm Expected Life: 2000+ hours Laser Tube, 40 Watt (48 Watts MAX, 40 Watts nominal)  ..

How do you test it?

1 hour ago, jrny4wrd said:

What brand laser do you have? Any etching examples?

It is homemade that I bought from the builder on Craigslist. The etching is very coarse so I don't do much with it.

is anyone still watching this thread if so and you want engraving examples let me know