Danne

Making a card holder template in Autocad (Video clip)

This is not exact dimensions, I just estimated the dimensions for credit cards, and calculated the dimensions based on spi.

Also keep in mind I haven't used Autocad since I was in school over 20 years ago. So I click the wrong keys sometimes during the clip. But Autocad is really awesome for making templates. The downside is the high cost for the software, but you can test it for 30 days for free. 

The reason I even tried Autocad (I have been using Sketchup before) was because you can calibrate your printer so you get exact dimensions in the feed direction. I have tried 1 new and three older laser printers and only one of them was close to perfect dimensions (the really old one)

I managed to make a linetype for the stitching, unfortunately I didn't manage to use it in a new file because it didn't align properly, I have to look into what settings I may have changed for it to work. (Probably a font setting I made because it's based on a font) 

The principe of the linetype (.lin) for this is:

A,0,(Stitch length offset 3mm in this case) ,["|",STANDARD,S=(Diagonal length 1.6 for Ksblade),R=(Radii, negative 45 degrees in this case),X=-(X-axis offset to center of prong + stitch length),Y=-(Y-axis offset to center of prong)],0

I'm sure there are better ways to solve this by using shapes instead of a font.

Edited by Danne

G'Day, Have you ever thought about just using  a pencil, a ruler, and a rubber ? Just a thought :) 

Thats all I ever use .

I try to keep card  holders/ cases, (and wallets)   simple but practical . Some customers want  pockets  for this, more pockets for that and a folding  thing-a-ma- bob in the middle, ......and room for a flat screen TV .Just kidding  :)  

HS

1 hour ago, Handstitched said:

G'Day, Have you ever thought about just using  a pencil, a ruler, and a rubber ? Just a thought :) 

Thats all I ever use .

I try to keep card  holders/ cases, (and wallets)   simple but practical . Some customers want  pockets  for this, more pockets for that and a folding  thing-a-ma- bob in the middle, ......and room for a flat screen TV .Just kidding  :)  

HS

All I've ever done as well mate.  Done in no time and no involvement of using a computer.  Just a wee coffee and give it a go.   

Different strokes for different folks.  Many here are not likely to use technology simply because it didn't exist when we began.  The advantages are plentiful.  Changes can happen and no paper is thrown away for starters.  And the "filing system" doesn't depend upon hard copies that need a place to store them, nor do they need to be dusted off prior to using.

Personally, I'm in the ruler and pencil crowd, but I admire those that have the skills to do it another way.  

So thanks Danne for one brief example of the power of technology.  

5 hours ago, Handstitched said:

Thats all I ever use .

HS

The answer to Hondoman is to you also. But I just had to clarify that the stitching lines is no problem here, it does work since this file is a template file that is ready for making all my drawings. I just mentioned it because maybe someone else using this software want me to share the the solution for making stitching lines, which I btw will solve and share for different spi.

4 hours ago, HondoMan said:

All I've ever done as well mate.  Done in no time and no involvement of using a computer.  Just a wee coffee and give it a go.   

For me personally making drawings with pen and paper is not an option, because I can do it quicker on the computer, and I can use tools that can measure the distance around curves and count the stitching so it adds up. Something that of course is possible to do without a computer with the help of trigonometry, but it would be very time consuming. 

But I do think it depends on the type of products if computer software is something that gives a better result (Just have to say, of course I know there are crafters which are a lot better than me who make drawings by hand.) for me it's worth a lot because I can plan out everything in detail before I start my project. So for me it improves the quality of my work. We all do things different, but I shared because I know there are other crafters out there who also make their drawings with computers software.

And also for me it would take a lot of time making these drawings on paper with a pen and with good precision. A friend of mine told me one of his customers work with some sort of construction and have done for many years, he still make all drawings with pen and paper, and he said "You would be amazed if you saw how quick he was" 

Edited by Danne

i can understand using a computer program if you have computerized machines that run off cad programs to cut patterns and such but for the hobbyist or one man shop its just more time and money investment, especially for wallets , card holders and such once you've made the pattern there just isn't a  need IMO. it may take an hour to make a card holder pattern by hand then you have it forever, scan it save it and print it whenever if your old one wears out. I'm of the age that i have learned every darned operating system including dos bought thousands of dollars worth of computers operating systems and programs that are/were setting in my basement because they are no longer "supported" meaning they just want to make more money off of us not that they weren't adequate. Just hauled a milk crate completely full of floppy discs  and old cds of programs that no longer work to the dumps, INCLUDING a couple expensive autocad programs But to each his own folks spend that money, take that time learning a program you will have to relearn at the next update or simply repurchase because its unsupported while i use my pencil , and paper template and do leather work. Me, i like simple!

13 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

i can understand using a computer program if you have computerized machines that run off cad programs to cut patterns and such but for the hobbyist or one man shop its just more time and money investment, especially for wallets , card holders and such once you've made the pattern there just isn't a  need IMO. it may take an hour to make a card holder pattern by hand then you have it forever, scan it save it and print it whenever if your old one wears out. I'm of the age that i have learned every darned operating system including dos bought thousands of dollars worth of computers operating systems and programs that are/were setting in my basement because they are no longer "supported" meaning they just want to make more money off of us not that they weren't adequate. Just hauled a milk crate completely full of floppy discs  and old cds of programs that no longer work to the dumps, INCLUDING a couple expensive autocad programs But to each his own folks spend that money, take that time learning a program you will have to relearn at the next update or simply repurchase because its unsupported while i use my pencil , and paper template and do leather work. Me, i like simple!

For me I don't agree. I often need very good precision, down to around 0.5mm and a lot of parts with almost the same dimensions and a difference between 0.5-1mm for trimming or a construction for a slim design. It would take me a lot of time making these with pen and paper. On the computer I can start drawing and I can make small changes. I can make a revision after I made my first wallet/watch strap. If I need to make another length of the same watch strap or add a pocket to a wallet it take me minutes instead of hours. 

Here is an example. Making a 22-20 strap in a different length of this strap would take me like 10 minutes, It would take me A LOT of time doing it with a paper and pen. 

fgGI3DL.png

yC6XaHR.jpg

taNHtRY.jpg

I can't draw a straight line, much less cut a straight line. So when personal computers became affordable, I jumped right in (late 1980's). Now days I use a laser to cut and etch all my work, and could not do it without the help of Adobe Illustrator. A pretty long learning curve and much money spent, but all I can say is that I'm very happy with the results.

Body Parts Template.jpg

Finished Bag.jpg

Here ya go. 

2092611250_beba.png.cb933e3ca93f6e7f89b40c20aea85818.png

i love how we went from making a nothing to it card holder to the most intricate work possible to prove the point how many watch bands or purses does it take to pay off an autocad program, a computer, a laser cutter, printer then all the updates and rebuys, personal time learning and relearning? If i had to use this to create i would pay some teenager, buy my patterns,  and pocket hundreds if not thousands. but yall don't have to convince me to buy new toys lol my toys just aren't computers I've played that game. 

2 hours ago, Danne said:

For me I don't agree. I often need very good precision, down to around 0.5mm and a lot of parts with almost the same dimensions and a difference between 0.5-1mm for trimming or a construction for a slim design. It would take me a lot of time making these with pen and paper. On the computer I can start drawing and I can make small changes. I can make a revision after I made my first wallet/watch strap. If I need to make another length of the same watch strap or add a pocket to a wallet it take me minutes instead of hours. 

Here is an example. Making a 22-20 strap in a different length of this strap would take me like 10 minutes, It would take me A LOT of time doing it with a paper and pen. 

fgGI3DL.png

yC6XaHR.jpg

taNHtRY.jpg

it would take me seconds to cut my pattern at one of the straight sections and lengthen it with another piece of pattern paper, scan it and save it so i could reprint if needed.. A pocket is a pocket you just make two instead of one with your pattern. The point i was making is that after you have your pattern the money you have spent is just setting there, you dont have to redesign every time you make a watch band. But if you have the dough to blow then go for it 

Luddites... :lol:

Seriously, though, I use BOTH methods-- digital and analog -- to make templates. and projects. 
Sometimes, it's just fun to play with the tools!

Hi 

I have been following this thread with interest. Why such a hard time if that is his process for working? I am old school with pencil and paper, but i have also recently downloaded some PDF templates for some items out of my comfort zone which were created with software. 

I can understand that some of the software is expensive but i am informed by my better half (who works in IT) that you don't have to use expensive Adobe software which is also not so easy to use. She says to look at Inscape https://inkcape.org which is free, and there is lots of help online with how to use it, and there are versions for all operating systems. 

Hope this helps

JCUK

Here is my soft wear and my hardware  :rofl:

softwear.jpg

hardware.jpg

Edited by Frodo

Ok, so I just clarify, I never had and never will have any intention to say that using a pencil and paper to make templates are not a good option for making templates. For me software is the only solution I prefer, and some who read here agree with me, some would never use software for drawings, other will use both paper/pencil and software.

And regarding time to learn a new software for drawings like this is something that is quick for me (No I don't say I learn a software like Autocad quick, but I learn the tools needed for making templates for leather goods quick.)

I have full respect for whatever methods other people use, since my main interest in this craft is doing custom things, software is a very good solution for me, because for me it's quick to make drawings and add that pocket and make sure stitching lengths are correct. For someone else it can be quicker to use a paper and pencil, everyone is free to choose what they wan't. This thread was not posted to convince people to start using cad-software. I just shared.

Edited by Danne

Can we not turn this into a contentious discussion?  I get enough of that elsewhere.

1 hour ago, Danne said:

Ok, so I just clarify, I never had and never will have any intention to say that using a pencil and paper to make templates are not a good option for making templates. For me software is the only solution I prefer, and some who read here agree with me, some would never use software for drawings, other will use both paper/pencil and software.

And regarding time to learn a new software for drawings like this is something that is quick for me (No I don't say I learn a software like Autocad quick, but I learn the tools needed for making templates for leather goods quick.)

I have full respect for whatever methods other people use, since my main interest in this craft is doing custom things, software is a very good solution for me, because for me it's quick to make drawings and add that pocket and make sure stitching lengths are correct. For someone else it can be quicker to use a paper and pencil, everyone is free to choose what they wan't. This thread was not posted to convince people to start using cad-software. I just shared.

i feel the same friend and meant no disrespect.

2 hours ago, Danne said:

I mean no disrespect.   I used the laughy thing [ :rofl: ]  in my answer.  internet protocol is that by using a laughy thingy your post is non confrontational but it is a joke

To be honest.   The only reason i do not like it is because i cant afford it

If i could afford one i would want a CnC machine and the software to run it

9 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

i feel the same friend and meant no disrespect.

9 hours ago, Frodo said:

I mean no disrespect.   I used the laughy thing [ :rofl: ]  in my answer.  internet protocol is that by using a laughy thingy your post is non confrontational but it is a joke

I was looking for the like button :) It can sometimes be easy to misinterpret each other in text, especially for me when English is not my native language. But I have always liked this forum, because most people here are actually nice to each other. People having different opinions about things isn't bad. And regarding drawing on paper, I think I will get some more rulers, like curved rulers and such, because even though I don't use paper drawings for my final drawings, when I think about it, it can be a very good way to come up with new designs

10 hours ago, Tugadude said:

Can we not turn this into a contentious discussion?

Yep, I agree. We all have different ways of doing things thats all , and I respect that muchly , what ever works for you  is the best   :)   ' you say tomato,  I say tomarto, you say potato I say potarto .... ' 

HS

One thing we can all agree upon I think is that we love working with leather.  We come here to learn and also to share what has worked for us.  I'll never own a sewing machine for leather but I sometimes enjoy reading about issues those that do are having with their machines, etc.  Broadens my knowledge base, even if I'll never participate.  Same with CAD and its applications.  Fascinating stuff and I enjoy watching others do remarkable things.

15 hours ago, Frodo said:

To be honest.   The only reason i do not like it is because i cant afford it

If i could afford one i would want a CnC machine and the software to run it

For me its a couple of things, one is to much cost to justify. I would have to make hundreds of products a year to even come close to paying off the investment plus the time taken, from leather work, to learn another program, updates, tech problems etc. I do this to relax i spent almost 30 years working with computers and sitting for hours at a desk and am just tired of the tech crap to be honest. 

6 hours ago, Danne said:

I was looking for the like button :) It can sometimes be easy to misinterpret each other in text, especially for me when English is not my native language. But I have always liked this forum, because most people here are actually nice to each other. People having different opinions about things isn't bad. And regarding drawing on paper, I think I will get some more rulers, like curved rulers and such, because even though I don't use paper drawings for my final drawings, when I think about it, it can be a very good way to come up with new designs

It is ALL GOOD,   I have a very warped sense of humor and sometimes my kidding gets me into trouble  because like you say, text is different than face to face

@Danne I think you have done very well sorting out how to set up up hour own stitch line file in Auto cad. First time I did it it took me over an hour I think:wub: and because after you have done it it is set in and you no longer have to do it, it is worth doing. For myself Cad design is a no brainer  because I need to design something nearly every other day and having a file like watch bands all in one place means a couple of minutes of copying and altering and bingo it's done and there to alter again if needed. Because I often have to do many repeats of the product and sometimes some variations I like that I can easily go back to my cad drawing and add another 2mm to a tight edge or whatever changes I want in a matter of seconds before going into full production. Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us all as you proceed on your L.W. journey.