rdhays2000

best weight of leather for holsters and fixed blade Knife sheaths

Hi all,

I'm getting started in leathercraft and the main projects that I want to work on is making my own firearms holsters and fixed blade knife sheaths. I was wondering what is the best weight of leather to use?

Thanks

Richard

I use 8 or 9 oz,  and on some I double that  It really just depends on the gun 

same with knives. I use a 8 or 9oz also. i hate a wimpy floppy sheath. 

you can use 2 8oz on the back side and a 6 on the front.  There is no rule, you are the artist and the holster is your canvas

Yeah I understand that there's really no rules. It's up to the person what to use. I've had holsters and sheaths that it was hard to reholster because the holster collapsed, so I was just trying to see what others are using with better results.

Richard

I use a 4-5 oz or 5-6 oz doubled for holsters.  This makes a 8-10 or 10-12 oz holster.  They are really firm and I have no issues with the tops collapsing back in when you unholster a gun, these are OWB only.  I have not tried and IWB I don't think they would collapse even with the belt going over it.

Like @Frodo said its your holster so you can do what you want.  I like the lined holsters as there is no visible flesh side of the leather and there is some discussion that the flesh side may trap dirt and grit off the gun and possibly scratch it as it is pulled in and out.  Guys that I have made holsters for have never seen the lined version and seem to really like that idea.

Todd

welcome,

i get it that it would be cool if you could get the easy answer for things.   But this will be something you need to ask the customer and some of its by experience too.

consider....

> will the holster be lined?   If so, what with?  

> some people  are making dual material holsters now such as Cordura/Leather, like those Cordura/leather saddles.  Im surprised it took this long.

> some people WANT a holster with no body too!

> i made some knife sheaths where they were more or less just suede.  No body and no support.  Just for show i guess.  

Chances are you will be making some "oops" holsters where you will screw it up and have to start over.   Every time i make a new holster and pattern, i forget to mark what side up for right and left and then what side up flesh/hair side to make a right or left hand holster.  Its a (re) learning experience for me.

you dont have a location in your profile so i will assume you are in the USA and have some leather shops nearby.  But i would go to any leather shops in your area and buy some leather of different thicknesses and do some testing.

At my local shop they have barrels full of scraps of various size, shape and leather types inducing furs too.  So if im willing, i can rummage through them to find various weights if i want.  They also have some "bellies" that have SOME good material left on them to use.   I will sometimes get them to make some prototypes/pattens or test various things.   

If you are going to get into this hobby then you may as well get used to having some leather of various weights on hand.  Either for you or for a customer.   

fwiw, i have from i think 5 oz to 11 oz for various projects i have had over my time doing leather work.      Iirc i have used 5 to 8/9oz for my holsters and again, it would depend on what i was making and for whom and if it was lined or not.  

im sure others will chime in with an answer for you, but i think in the end you will find out the hard way, you will need some various weights.

Edited by $$hobby

6 minutes ago, $$hobby said:

welcome,

i get it that it would be cool if you could get the easy answer for things.   But this will be something you need to ask the customer and some of its by experience too.

consider....

> will the holster be lined?   If so, what with?  

> some people  are making dual material holsters now such as Cordura/Leather, like those Cordura/leather saddles.  Im surprised it took this long.

> some people WANT a holster with no body too!

> i made some knife sheaths where they were more or less just suede.  No body and no support.  Just for show i guess.  

Chances are you will be making some "oops" holsters where you will screw it up and have to start over.   Every time i make a new holster and pattern, i forget to mark what side up for right and left and then what side up flesh/hair side to make a right or left hand holster.  Its a (re) learning experience for me.

you dont have a location in your profile so i will assume you are in the USA and have some leather shops nearby.  But i would go to any leather shops in your area and buy some leather of different thicknesses and do some testing.

At my local shop they have barrels full of scraps of various size, shape and leather types inducing furs too.  So if im willing, i can rummage through them to find various weights if i want.  They also have some "bellies" that have SOME good material left on them to use.   I will sometimes get them to make some prototypes/pattens or test various things.   

If you are going to get into this hobby then you may as well get used to having some leather of various weights on hand.  Either for you or for a customer.   

fwiw, i have from i think 5 oz to 11 oz for various projects i have had over my time doing leather work.    

im sure others will chime in with an answer for you, but i think in the end you will find out the hard way, you will need some various weights.

Yes I am in the US. primarily I am planning on making holsters for myself as I seem to get pistols that are hard to find a holster for. My friends and family may end up tapping me for a holster as well, I'm sure.  But at least for the time being I'm only planning on holsters for my own pistols, like I said I seem to find pistols that I can't seem to find holsters for.

Does not answer your question , but a good guide for new starters

leather weights and usage.jpg

1 hour ago, chrisash said:

Does not answer your question , but a good guide for new starters

leather weights and usage.jpg

Thanks. That does help with guidance,