LiftPig

Tuff Shed Layout

My new house is about 50% complete being built.  I've decided to move my leather shop out to a tuff shed type situation as soon as we move so I can work at night and not bother everyone with the tap-tap-tapping.

My question is, for those who are working out of one, how big is adequate and how do you have it set up?  I think an 8-10x12 would probably be okay.  I'd like to have a full 4x8 sheet of plywood as my cutting bench so I can lay a side out and have room to cut and maneuver.  Eventually I'll have a sewing machine and table.  A small space to tool (or just put my granite on the cutting table) would also be nice.  That and some storage should do it, right?

Thanks in advance for the replies.

I started out with the basic 12x16 Tuff Shed, one window on the front and the door on the other front corner.  I had to go with this size due to the County and their permits.  I chose this design to save money.  I later installed 3 more windows, electric, insulation, interior walls and an extended roof in the front for a porch.  I have a 4x8 cutting table, a  2.5x8 foot work bench, 3 sewing machines, a Weaver manual clicker and 3 saddle stands.  It's tight, but workable.  Hope this gives you some information for your future workshop.

Ron

Most converted shed shops are pretty workable with some planning and size allowance.  I'm with Ron on this. 12 feet wide for sure and 4 feet on each end of your table will be appreciated once you start filling it up and working.. With a 4 foot width off the cutting table that extra width will allow benches and storage against the walls with room to still move around it. My first shop was 10 feet wide and I had minimal room to get around a table. Two extra feet would have been way better. Also think about storage and with that small of a footprint you'll need areas under the benches for leather and supplies.  Lighting - LEDS. Power - you can't put too many outlets in and I'd have a couple in the ceiling too. My two shed shops have LED strips in the ceiling plugged into switched outlets. In one shop there is a dropcord on a reel off the ceiling for power in the center of the room. Insulate and panel or plywood the inside walls to help keep it comfy and reduce dust buildup.  I'd allow for extra windows like Ron's suggestion and think about an AC where you live. Electric space heaters can do for the mild winters but an installed AC unit makes it nice for the summers. 

I totally agree w/ the AC.  I live in Northern California (Butte County).  It gets hot in the summer.  I think a wall or window unit AC is a must, not only for comfort but to protect my leather and supplies from getting baked.  

I think a base-unit 12x10 will work.  I can install a couple windows and run the romex myself for power.

How do you keep the critters (I'm mostly worried about rats and mice) out?

On 9/27/2020 at 9:46 AM, LiftPig said:

How do you keep the critters (I'm mostly worried about rats and mice) out?

Traps and Cats.  Almost impossible to make air tight.  Those damn mice can get through the smallest crack or hole.  Don't ask me how I know....

Edited by stelmackr
added text

If you can order it with a regular door instead of the double doors they usually put on the front of those it will seal much better.  As to sealing it I would get a spray foam insulation kit and spray foam all of the walls and ceiling prior to any other insulation or interior drywall or paneling.  That will go a long ways to keeping drafts as well as critters out.

Todd

What i did with my 12 x 16 shed was to hinge a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood that will fold up against a wall when not in use with shelving below so I can have total access to the shelves when not cutting.  But also I would have made it 16 x 20 or bigger......LOL.  No matter how big your shop is you'll always wish it was bigger or at least I do

It looks like things might have changed from when I bought my Premier Ranch Tuff Sheds.

At the time . . . .

What I did with my 12 x 16 Tuff Shed was to order it with a roof ridge ventilation option.

So hot air will easily escape out the top of the shed.

I also added an inlet vent, low, close to the floor between the studs. That allowed cooler air in so that when the hot air exits out the top, there will be cooler air drawn in. Rather than buy theirs, I bought my own, something like this

https://www.amazon.com/Duraflo-621218REC-Recessed-12-Inch-18-Inch/dp/B00HF5UCWE/ref=sr_1_19?dchild=1&keywords=Duraflo&qid=1601505200&sr=8-19

Another option I took was to get the better roof material with lifetime warranty with light color shingles to reflect the sun's heat.

I live in Austin Texas, and it can get really really hot here during the summer and fall. But inside my Tuff Shed, it's actually a tad cooler inside than outside in hot weather.