rigel

Timing a Pfaff 545 h3? Inner foot hits needle bar

Hello, everyone!!!

I'm a new member here and this is my first post. Recently, I've been given a Pfaff 545 h3 sewing machine. However, although is sewing well and forming stitches nicely, there seems to be some little problem I suppose. The first problem that I've noticed is that the vibrating inner foot sometimes is hitting the needle bar If that butterfly or wing nut on the back is at the highest position and I've noticed some needle scratches on the bobbin case. The hook to needle scarf distance is not that much close, but the distance from the needle to the bobbin case seems it's too close, like almost touching. And also the needle seems to be toward the right side and not in the dead center of the feed dog hole. Does anyone knows how to adjust the needle bar height on these 545 h3? What should be the proper height? I found in some adjustment manual for 1245 and it says when the needle bar is at Bottom Dead Center, the distance between the needle bar and the needle plate must be 15 mm. But then I read that 1245 has a fabric clearance of 14 mm while this machine is h3 thus 11 mm, yet they both use the same needle system - 134 x 35 and I don't know If I should follow that adjustment manual. What should be the proper needle bar to needle plate distance for the 545 h3 when the needle bar is at the Bottom Dead Center? If someone owns the same, or if someone is an expert on these Pfaff machines to help on how to adjust it properly? Can I use this 1245 adjustment manual which has a fabric clearance of 14 mm to time this 545 h3 with 11 mm of fabric clearance or not? I hope someone could help.

Rigel

Edited by rigel

I had this very same problem on a Juki LU-563.  I converted it to use 190 system needles which are a little bit longer.  You just have to raise the needle bar.  One screw, very easy to do.

But you'll want to make sure the hook timing and spacing are correct before you do anything drastic.  

Put your machine in the timing position.  Roll handwheel towards you until the needle reaches bottom dead center.  Continue rotating handwheel until the needle rises approximately 3/32".  This is the timing position.  This is where the hook should be about 1/16" above the eye of the needle.  

Hello, @Pintodeluxe. Thank you for taking your time to help. Is that the exact timing position for this Pfaff model or is it something like a general rule for timing? Is there any adjustment manual that I could follow for this model or no such thing for the older machines like this one?

Edited by rigel

It's a general rule, but it works on most any Japanese or German walking foot.  Some specs say 2.3mm (.090") or 2.8mm (.11") but 3/32" (.094") is a pretty good rule of thumb.  I'll see if the 545 repair manual has anything more specific.

It will help you to put the machine in the timing position to 1.  Check the hook timing, and 2. check needle bar height.  

The simplest possible solution is that someone just set the needle bar too low.  

If that's the case, loosen the screw that holds the needle bar in position, and move it up until the hook is about 1/16" above the eye of the needle.    

Pfaff is 2.0mm to 2.2mm if I remember correctly.  depends on subclass

glenn

2.0 mm

14 hours ago, Pintodeluxe said:

I'll see if the 545 repair manual has anything more specific.

Do you have a copy of an actual Pfaff Repair manual and not just an instruction manual?

Re: Pfaff 545 H3:

needle seems to be hitting/touching the front end of the lower walking Foot Hole:

am trying to figure out the adjustment for centering the Needle in the Needle Hole:

the Manual I found on-line does not refer to the adjustment:

Just wondering where I can find more detailed data

Regards

Myles

sharpen@gemini.ca