ewayne53

Fiebings Pro Dye vs Feibings Leather Dye

What are the pros and cons on using Fiebings Pro Dye vs Fiebings Leather Dye?

Edited by Northmount
Corrected title and typos

Just to start. The carrier in both are the same. Alcohol. The difference is the pigment base. In the Pro dye it’s oil based in the regular it’s a powder. I have better luck with the Pro as the pigment doesn’t seem to build up on the surface as much as regular. I also airbrush my dye on.

1 hour ago, Mattsbagger said:

Just to start. The carrier in both are the same. Alcohol. The difference is the pigment base. In the Pro dye it’s oil based in the regular it’s a powder. I have better luck with the Pro as the pigment doesn’t seem to build up on the surface as much as regular. I also airbrush my dye on.

Exactly!  Pro dye colors are "synthetic", and often petrol based (hence Fiebings old name for these of Oil Dye)  - Think Prussian Blue, for example.  As @Mattsbaggersays, there tends to be less rub-off with pro dye, and in most cases the colors are more vibrant.

- Bill

Regular dye = rub off. Especially with black. 99% of my problems with rub off disappeared after switching to pro dye.

Pro dye used to cost twice as much as the regular dye; but now it's only about 15% more, which is well worth it in my opinion.

Thanks to everyone for your input. Greatly appreciated!