Danne

Card holder with my own square texture

Brown vegetable tanned leather exterior, and Chèvre interior.

Stitched with Xiange twist poly thread, and edges painted with Fenice.

CPPCwec.jpg

TaJXir1.jpg

YjhDMND.jpg

S2hObYv.jpg

u7elUTR.jpg

And two progress photos:

CPTeMXX.jpg

364W8g3.jpg

Looks great!   I love the simple yet elegant look.   I have tried something similar in the past, but just as an experiment really.  I used a geometric craftaid from Tandy, which gives a similar effect, but hard to NOT get lines where you don't want them with it.  If you could figure out how to do that, it would make quick work of such a pattern.  https://tandyleather.com/collections/books-patterns/products/geometric-stampinggrid-craftaid-14-38-12

- Bill

This is impressive for a few reasons. First is your attention to spacing. Second is the consistency on the amount of pressure you applied. Did you use a creaser or stylus or something else? It's a great result and gives you something that grabs attention and looks quite luxurious. Well done!

8 minutes ago, BDub77 said:

This is impressive for a few reasons. First is your attention to spacing. Second is the consistency on the amount of pressure you applied. Did you use a creaser or stylus or something else? It's a great result and gives you something that grabs attention and looks quite luxurious. Well done!

Thank you, I used a creaser. S05H iron with Regad fileteuse.

Great job all around! The way the lines line up in their flow from back to front across the pockets is a most excellent and visually enjoyable detail.

34 minutes ago, Woodshed said:

Great job all around! The way the lines line up in their flow from back to front across the pockets is a most excellent and visually enjoyable detail.

Thank you. Yes it was a real challenge to make it line up good.

Impressive, I'm taking notes;)

Very very nice, the bar gets higher yet again:notworthy:

1 hour ago, RockyAussie said:

Very very nice, the bar gets higher yet again:notworthy:

Thank you, it wasn't easy, and I actually ruined some parts in the beginning.

2 hours ago, WonderingMan said:

Impressive, I'm taking notes;)

Thank you

3 hours ago, Woodshed said:

Thank you Woodshed

Danne, you have to stop posting your work! I get depressed by excellence because it reminds me of how much I suck. You're gonna be responsible for me quitting leatherwork and tossing all my expensive tools in the garbage! Do you really want that on your conscience?? :nono:

(Being arch, as usual. Post away, mate! That card holder is quite similar to my Oselvar™ wallet, 'cept I go for curves and don't line it. Guess I should start lining them now. :yes:)

Edited by Hardrada

It is very nice.   I like it and the pink Chèvre interior..

not your ordinary card holder for sure. Beautiful work friend. 

Gorgeous. I would like to see "in-process" photos next time you do the square pattern.  

9 hours ago, Hardrada said:

Danne, you have to stop posting your work! I get depressed by excellence because it reminds me of how much I suck. You're gonna be responsible for me quitting leatherwork and tossing all my expensive tools in the garbage! Do you really want that on your conscience?? :nono:

(Being arch, as usual. Post away, mate! That card holder is quite similar to my Oselvar™ wallet, 'cept I go for curves and don't line it. Guess I should start lining them now. :yes:)

That reminded me of how I actually did feel like "maybe this is nothing for me" I mean we have different goals with our craft, but no matter what the goal is, of course one important part is that you enjoy crafting. And I do, it's like "meditation" I just focus on what i'm doing. But I also tend to put a lot of pressure on myself to improve, maybe a little to much, I wish I also could appreciate more how much I have improved since I started. But stitching almost made me stop, because I felt like I will never be able to stitch thinner leather with good results. But I didn't give up. And I slowly get better at stitching (Thinking especially on thin watch straps and thin edges on wallets) it's a little bit of a lottery for me when it comes to contrasting colors. I know it was a joke from your side, but if you where serious when said you suck. Don't say that about yourself, it will become an obstacle for improvement. (Sorry if this was a little confusing, and I hope you don't misinterpret me, English is not my native language so I might express myself bad sometimes) 

Where do I find your Oselvar wallet? I tried to Google for photos.

2 hours ago, Scoutmom103 said:

It is very nice.   I like it and the pink Chèvre interior..

Thank you, yes brown and pink is a good match isn't it.

47 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

not your ordinary card holder for sure. Beautiful work friend. 

Thank you

6 minutes ago, Tugadude said:

Gorgeous. I would like to see "in-process" photos next time you do the square pattern.  

Feel free to send me a dm and I try to explain how I did it.

The black and pink combination is always a great contrasting colors.  But the lines you created with the creaser; now that set the whole thing off as PROFESSIONAL!!  I thought that came from the factory it was so evenly spaced.  Just a marvelous functioning artwork.

14 minutes ago, JayEhl said:

The black and pink combination is always a great contrasting colors.  But the lines you created with the creaser; now that set the whole thing off as PROFESSIONAL!!  I thought that came from the factory it was so evenly spaced.  Just a marvelous functioning artwork.

Thank you, The spacing was made with marked with an awl from my template, and a ruler aligned to the marks. But it was hard to keep a consistant pressure with my creaser to make all lines look similar, so I practiced a bit before on a scrap piece. At first I used a higher temperature, but it was harder to make it consistent, and also I found out it looks better with lower temperature.

Yea, I'm still very much the novice/hobby-ist and am in total awe of the work that is done with other tools that are other than manual ones such as your creaser, skivers, heck even a sewing machine!  I am saving my pennies and adding my next 'toy' to my wish list which I think is going to be a skiver since I've ruined so many pieces with my 'hand skiver' or an air brush painter.  I'm also pretty scared of buying really expensive leather right now until I feel comfortable with a process.  I did bite the bullet to buy some really nice 'pull up' leather that I made a badge ID holder and have enough to make a couple minimalist card holders.  I guess that's the best practice, - that is, practice on more inexpensive leather to get the steps and processes down so I won't get frustrated with more expensive leather.   But one thing for sure, I learn something each time I finish a project and learn so much from people like you and others on this board!  

Thanks!

~JL

1 hour ago, FGBR said:

Beautiful work!

Thank you

Clean and very well done. 

2 hours ago, JWheeler331 said:

Clean and very well done. 

Thank you

Beautiful work.  Loving the pink lining.  Those surprising yet hidden details are what make owning a piece like this nice for me.....

17 minutes ago, sonnyboone said:

Beautiful work.  Loving the pink lining.  Those surprising yet hidden details are what make owning a piece like this nice for me.....

thank you. 

@Danne You out did yourself again. Great work.