Sign in to follow this  
Josier

Great West Saddlery identification help

Hi, I recently inherited an old saddle that has been in my family for a long time. I believe It's from the Great West Saddlery Company as I found a G.W.S CO stamped in the leather. Other than that tho I have no idea what year this saddle would have been made or anything else about it. It has the initials E.R which match for my last name but we have no idea who owned this saddle first, or if the initials even represent someone from my family. I was unable to attach photos of the saddle so i made a youtube video I will link with the photos. Unfortunately it killed the quality of the photos so much. If anyone thinks they may know something about it but want more clear photos let me know and I can email you them! Thank you so much! 

You don't say where you are but if you're in Western Canada this might give you a little history about the company: https://albertaonrecord.ca/great-west-saddlery

Regards,

Arturo

On 9/27/2020 at 2:24 PM, Josier said:

If anyone thinks they may know something about it but want more clear photos let me know and I can email you them! Thank you so much! 

You can resize your photos to fit the file size restrictions.  See this link for some suggestions.

I recall that there has been a post about Great West Saddlery on this site some time ago.  Have you done a search for anything here?

Tom

6857B23E-F960-4B71-A451-A8F47DF83267.thumb.jpeg.b9134c2d1327cf55f4edf7b0ccbac220.jpeg

Here’s the 1919 Great West Saddlery Company catalogue ad for your saddle. If anyone here has any other old Calgary or Alberta made items they would like information on, I have about 10 old catalogues that I’ll certainly share info from.  
Also, if you should have old Calgary and area saddlery catalogues you’d part with, please email me at kvnl@shaw.ca

Thanks, 

Kevin. 

ps if you’d like a photo of the catalogue cover from this ad, email me also, it wouldn’t allow me to upload here. Thx

1 hour ago, kvnl said:

it wouldn’t allow me to upload here.

As posted above:

You can resize your photos to fit the file size restrictions.  See this link for some suggestions.

Mike Graham, owner of Ruxton's Trading Post, is an expert in the history of western saddles.  He has written books on the subject, and articles for Western Horseman.  https://www.ruxtons.com/dynapage/PP03.htm