Dwane

Question #2 Rifle Sling

I spent the weekend making my sling pattern, then coming back and changing it. I finally came up with a pattern I really like.  

My question is to allow for plenty of adjustment I figure its 72 in long, should I try and get one piece for the whole thing or make it in two pieces and sew it together?

Im a beginner, I haven't done a leather project in a long time so just getting started  

Edited by Dwane

I have no experience with rifle slings but I would definitely plan for it to be 2 pieces.  Getting a piece of leather 72" is going to be tough, getting a quality piece 72" will be nearly impossible.

Todd

What type of sling are you making 72 " sounds pretty long to me? I have made a few most are of the old military type they are two piece. I have also made the cobra type, those are typically one piece, no where near 72", but i have done them two piece as well. 

Its more of an adjustable strap. I know its long, but i don't have anything to go by to shorten it up yet. 

19 minutes ago, Dwane said:

Its more of an adjustable strap. I know its long, but i don't have anything to go by to shorten it up yet. 

The m1907 military sling fit every soldier and rifle for a couple world wars and is still being made today, its highly adjustable. It is a two piece sling one piece is approx. 22"/ 23" the other piece is approx. 43 " / 46" . You may want to look at one of these and how its made, you can still buy the metal parts for them also.  

31 minutes ago, Dwane said:

Heres the m1907 exact dimensions hope they help.

1907sling.gif

What I've done with mine is to make them two-piece. The cobra head that never changes in size, and the adjustable strap portion that can be cut to different sizes—then you'll really have plenty strap for adjustment.

MKI_Kobra_Sling--04.thumb.jpg.a1260953f22da5d8057965a5eb367c3e.jpg

Even so, the stitching is not easy due to a very, very long thread (formula: thread needed = distance to stitch * 4).

Edited by Hardrada

4 hours ago, Hardrada said:

What I've done with mine is to make them two-piece. The cobra head that never changes in size, and the adjustable strap portion that can be cut to different sizes—then you'll really have plenty strap for adjustment.

MKI_Kobra_Sling--04.thumb.jpg.a1260953f22da5d8057965a5eb367c3e.jpg

Even so, the stitching is not easy due to a very, very long thread (formula: thread needed = distance to stitch * 4).

I never use more thread than I can span with my arms spread out. Trying to sew it with just one piece is a major PITA, and totally unnecessary.

12 minutes ago, tsunkasapa said:

I never use more thread than I can span with my arms spread out. Trying to sew it with just one piece is a major PITA, and totally unnecessary.

Like this:yeah:

22 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

Heres the m1907 exact dimensions hope they help.

1907sling.gif

Which one is the short strap the top or towards the muzzle end 

22 minutes ago, Dwane said:

Which one is the short strap the top or towards the muzzle end 

the short strap is on the butt end. http://www.90thidpg.us/Equipment/Weapons/M1907Sling/index.html