Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I spent the weekend making my sling pattern, then coming back and changing it. I finally came up with a pattern I really like.  

My question is to allow for plenty of adjustment I figure its 72 in long, should I try and get one piece for the whole thing or make it in two pieces and sew it together?

Im a beginner, I haven't done a leather project in a long time so just getting started  

Edited by Dwane

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no experience with rifle slings but I would definitely plan for it to be 2 pieces.  Getting a piece of leather 72" is going to be tough, getting a quality piece 72" will be nearly impossible.

Todd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What type of sling are you making 72 " sounds pretty long to me? I have made a few most are of the old military type they are two piece. I have also made the cobra type, those are typically one piece, no where near 72", but i have done them two piece as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its more of an adjustable strap. I know its long, but i don't have anything to go by to shorten it up yet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Dwane said:

Its more of an adjustable strap. I know its long, but i don't have anything to go by to shorten it up yet. 

The m1907 military sling fit every soldier and rifle for a couple world wars and is still being made today, its highly adjustable. It is a two piece sling one piece is approx. 22"/ 23" the other piece is approx. 43 " / 46" . You may want to look at one of these and how its made, you can still buy the metal parts for them also.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Dwane said:

Its more of an adjustable strap. I know its long, but i don't have anything to go by to shorten it up yet. 

Heres the m1907 exact dimensions hope they help.

1907sling.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I've done with mine is to make them two-piece. The cobra head that never changes in size, and the adjustable strap portion that can be cut to different sizes—then you'll really have plenty strap for adjustment.

 

MKI_Kobra_Sling--04.thumb.jpg.a1260953f22da5d8057965a5eb367c3e.jpg

 

Even so, the stitching is not easy due to a very, very long thread (formula: thread needed = distance to stitch * 4).

Edited by Hardrada

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Hardrada said:

What I've done with mine is to make them two-piece. The cobra head that never changes in size, and the adjustable strap portion that can be cut to different sizes—then you'll really have plenty strap for adjustment.

 

MKI_Kobra_Sling--04.thumb.jpg.a1260953f22da5d8057965a5eb367c3e.jpg

 

Even so, the stitching is not easy due to a very, very long thread (formula: thread needed = distance to stitch * 4).

 I never use more thread than I can span with my arms spread out. Trying to sew it with just one piece is a major PITA, and totally unnecessary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, tsunkasapa said:

 I never use more thread than I can span with my arms spread out. Trying to sew it with just one piece is a major PITA, and totally unnecessary.

Like this:yeah:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

Heres the m1907 exact dimensions hope they help.

1907sling.gif

Which one is the short strap the top or towards the muzzle end 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Dwane said:

Which one is the short strap the top or towards the muzzle end 

the short strap is on the butt end. http://www.90thidpg.us/Equipment/Weapons/M1907Sling/index.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...