JeannieH

Bag lining pattern

Does anyone on here have any tips for drafting the lining size for the bags? I want the lining to fit perfectly without that bunched up look..which looks low end to me. I normally do the lining pattern 1/16 inch smaller in height and take 1/16 off either side seam. But this doesn’t always work out how I want. Any suggestions?

Glue it up in paper first.

2 hours ago, toxo said:

Glue it up in paper first.

I’m not sure I understand. I forgot to mention I’m talking about a drop in lining. Can you explain what you mean a little more?

2 minutes ago, JeannieH said:

I’m not sure I understand. I forgot to mention I’m talking about a drop in lining. Can you explain what you mean a little more?

I wasn't worried about an exact fit on this one. It's attached along the top with the zip. The rest can be pulled out for cleaning.

14th June 2020 083.jpg

3 hours ago, JeannieH said:

I normally do the lining pattern 1/16 inch smaller in height and take 1/16 off either side seam. But this doesn’t always work out how I want. Any suggestions?

I do all of my designs on a computer (then laser cut the leather), and so I shrink the width of the pattern a little more than the height. I also tack down the lining on the bottom of the bag, and also on the front,  back and side pieces. Kind of hard to see here, but if you look real hard you can see that the lining is tacked down to the bottom of the bag with dark thread. I typically attach it in 10 or 12 places so that it opens up with the bag as much as possible. I would like to get the lining hug the bag better, but since it is a drop-in liner, I don't know what else to do except to use a stiffer leather, which I prefer not to do for the inside of a bag. I'm not unhappy with this method, but I'm sure that there must be a better way to do it.

IMG_2179.JPG

24 minutes ago, LatigoAmigo said:

I do all of my designs on a computer (then laser cut the leather), and so I shrink the width of the pattern a little more than the height. I also tack down the lining on the bottom of the bag, and also on the front,  back and side pieces. Kind of hard to see here, but if you look real hard you can see that the lining is tacked down to the bottom of the bag with dark thread. I typically attach it in 10 or 12 places so that it opens up with the bag as much as possible. I would like to get the lining hug the bag better, but since it is a drop-in liner, I don't know what else to do except to use a stiffer leather, which I prefer not to do for the inside of a bag. I'm not unhappy with this method, but I'm sure that there must be a better way to do it.

IMG_2179.JPG

Ok thanks for the pictures. I don’t know how to draft my patterns on the computer..so I have to do everything on paper with a ruler. I’m not sure if I want to thread it down since it’s nice to be able to pull the lining out for cleaning...I guess..not sure if the processionals donut that way. I don’t have any expensive brand bags lol.

3 hours ago, toxo said:

I wasn't worried about an exact fit on this one. It's attached along the top with the zip. The rest can be pulled out for cleaning.

14th June 2020 083.jpg

What leather did you use for the handle? Is it Vachetta?

59 minutes ago, JeannieH said:

What leather did you use for the handle? Is it Vachetta?

2.4mm veg tan. Here's a couple more pics.

IMG_20200505_223329__02.jpg

14th June 2020 081.jpg

2 hours ago, toxo said:

2.4mm veg tan. Here's a couple more pics.

IMG_20200505_223329__02.jpg

14th June 2020 081.jpg

Ok nice! I love the untreated leather!