DaveP

Awl blade?

I mostly use stitching chisels for my stitching holes. I'd like to try using the diamond awl. Which diamond shaped awl blade should I use for smaller holes? Size? I'm primarily going through 3 layers of 8-10 oz veg tan. Just the blade as I'm going to make my own haft handle. 

Below is what I've found.  Which one? Or is there something better?

Thanks again 

Screenshot_20200928-093858_Chrome.jpg

You need to do some more searching. But USUALLY, the smaller the number, the smaller the blade.

www.fineleatherworking.com/leather-sewing-awl-blades/

www.etsy.com/market/awl_blades

www.mainelineleather.com/products/awl-blades

redoxbrand.sagecreeksaddles.com/product-category/handstitching/awl-blades/

I have a few awls, including an Osborne as you've shown, and it's the best I have. However, even this needed a bit of polishing on a fine stone and a strop - most new all blades do, unless you're getting the really expensive exotica where the maker has done that for you, and accounts for the high price

If you intend going through those 3 layers of leather, which would amount to 9 or 10mm I'd get a #43 blade 

Search YouTube for 'sharpening an awl' there are several videos

Edited by zuludog

Thanks for the replies! I'll research those links. Plus Osborne again. 

On 9/29/2020 at 7:52 AM, zuludog said:

I have a few awls, including an Osborne as you've shown, and it's the best I have. However, even this needed a bit of polishing on a fine stone and a strop - most new all blades do, unless you're getting the really expensive exotica where the maker has done that for you, and accounts for the high price

If you intend going through those 3 layers of leather, which would amount to 9 or 10mm I'd get a #43 blade 

Search YouTube for 'sharpening an awl' there are several videos

Just a note to add to what @zuludog said.  If you are not comfortable with sharpening an awl blade, Leatherwranglers offers sharpened Osborne blades (for additional $, of course)!  https://leatherwranglers.com/shop/ols/products/awl-blades  

- Bill