ivan7342

Issue with holes for rivets on thick leather and markings when putting them

Hello guys,

Did my first wrist strap for my camera, there are a few issues that i could use help with.

First, the leather is 2mm tick, and since it's folded 3 way, that make it 6mm, when punched the hole i tried to keep it as straight as possible, but as you can see in one of the pictures, the hole ended way out of the center, any tip to improve it? i was thinking about doing the holes separately in each layer, make the first hole, use that as reference to mark the next one and so on...

The other problem i have is that the tool i'm using to put the rivets (Blue one in the picture) leaves circular marks in the leather, i tried with a small circular suede piece with a hole in the center, to see if it could alleviate the pressure on the rims of the tool pieces, but didn't work.

Thanks!

IMG_20200929_185703.jpg

IMG_20200929_185721.jpg

IMG_20200929_191829.jpg

Hi Ivan! I would suggest skiving down the raw side of the leather where the rivets will be, to help bring the thickness down. As for the rivet tool marks, I've had that happen when the rivet tool I used was too big for the rivet I was hammering in, but I've only used hand-held tools. 

What are you using as the punch? One of the plier type? If so, ditch it, get a set of straight punches - I might suggest Ivan's with the swappable heads, except one sheared...half the cutting edge just disappeared...That way you're punching straight up and down where you put the punch. Use a soft-head mallet (leather/rubber/plastic)

As far as the rivets are concerned, use the right size head for the rivet, I'd suggest.

Thanks guys,

I have hand held-tools for the rivets, going to try them.

Regarding the punch, yeah, it's a swappable heads straight one,  maybe used the wrong hammer...

Will see if i can bring down a bit the tickness of the leather and practice on some scraps first.

Cheers!

@ivan7342 The other alternative is to use rivets with a longer stem , however, skiving will be cheaper  :) 

I too have made marks on leather using hand held rivet setters, its not the tools, its the operator...me  , ha !   :)

As for punching holes,  ( Maun plier type) for going through the thick stuff , I generally mark the holes with an awl ,( I have one that I can tap with a hammer)  then punch each one  , one at a time. But  I do sometimes use the straight ' hitty with a hammer type '  . 

BTW, have you got your work space in your lounge room ?  Couldn't help but notice the lounge  chair  :)  

HS 

Edited by Handstitched

Later today i will do more tries... been using my very small laser engraver so i can personalize them, i think i have found the right position and setup to engrave these straps, so i will do a new one trying to improve it.

I have a skiving knife, and i did use it a bit on that strap, just not as much as i should have i think.

And... yeah, we don't have enough space on the appartment, so my leather space is shared with my work space, gaming space, dining space, etc.

I have some wood shafts that i put on the floor when i have to hammer down and just work there sitting on the floor then, far from ideal, but it's what i have for now.

But i don't complain

IMG_20200930_150029.jpg

On 9/30/2020 at 9:14 AM, ivan7342 said:

Later today i will do more tries... been using my very small laser engraver so i can personalize them,<snip>

What "very small laser engraver," may I ask?

It's a Kkmoon, can engrave up to 3.5cm x 3,5cm, in that wrist strap for example, can engrave up to 12 letters in font size 52, big enough i think.

It was cheap, like 60 or 70 euros i think, here you can see it besides my laptop for size reference.

I plan to get a bigger one in the future, it's just something i can't afford right now

IMG_20201002_224934.jpg

IMG_20201002_225042.jpg

I don't have experience with rivets and such, but i think my issue now are that the ones i'm using are too long (The silver one)

And the brass one didn't tried it yet but looks too short, if so, i should the the right lenght ones if possible, if not, do some skiving on the leather to use the bronze ones, or maybe cut a bit the tip of the longer ones...

Not sure how much over the surface of the leather they need to be...

Thanks!

IMG_20201003_164601.jpg

14 minutes ago, ivan7342 said:

And the brass one didn't tried it yet but looks too short, if so, i should the the right lenght ones if possible, if not, do some skiving on the leather to use the bronze ones, or maybe cut a bit the tip of the longer ones...

Not sure how much over the surface of the leather they need to be...

You should have about 3mm of the stem above the leather.

Actually that silver one looks just about right

When I do rivet holes in multiple layers I punch the first main hole accurately, glue the layers together then use that first hole as guide for the others, first pushing the point of a scratch awl through to make sure the punched hole will still be where I want it.

I rarely use a setting bar for flat head rivets. I just put one end on my anvil and whack the other end with my hammer. They end up very flat and no marks from a setting bar.

Really cheap hack for the rivets is.. I use a grade 8 bolt from the hardware store--I keep a 5/16, 3/8,7/16 and 1/2 bolt handy. They have a cupped end on the thread end of the bolt that is pretty close to the curve on those domed rivets. Unfortunately it does not work for double capped (rivets with dome caps on both ends)