SeyR

A tight and durable seam on an 8oz veg tan quiver?

I have some experience with veg tan but I’ve only ever connected pieces with rivets and buckles and so on.

Very little stitching, no gluing.

Now, I’m making a quiver. I’m buying new tools and doing a lot of research, as it’ll be my first times for carving, stitching, and gluing. I have some questions and concerns - I’m not working from an existing pattern.

I’m thinking about closing the quiver’s long edge with a baseball stitch. The straps will be connected to that edge with overlays, and help reinforce the seam.

Concerns:
I’m designing the pattern with paper to start, and the construction paper warps into a teardrop shape without reinforcement at the seam. I worry I will have some weakness in the same area with 8 oz veg tan? Would it be more reasonable to use a butt stitch, even though I don’t prefer it aesthetically?

Regardless of the stitch, should I, or would it be advisable to, contact cement (or otherwise glue) the butt edges of the leather together before stitching?

Thanks for any tips, first time posting but I've been lurking for a long time.

I would do a lap seam with a double row of stitching. Or do a but seam with an overlay piece. But that is just my preference.

I make a butt joint on the beer growler case by running a stitch line down each side of the joint using @3 stitches per inch.  Then hand stitch between the two rows pulling the edges up tight.  Finish with a strip glued on the inside overlapping the joint.  Makes a very strong joint.960B0018-2A58-4800-894B-B3BA4D9B0CDE.jpeg

A.  Make sure your two edges are exactly 90 degree cuts . . . and as near perfectly straight as you can make them.

B.  Contact cement the edges together

C.  I would (for a simple quiver) use a much simpler stitch pattern than Garypl used .. . . just a simple XXXXXXXXX stitch straight down the seam.

D.  To help insure it stays together . . . I'd put my shoulder strap attachments at the top and bottom of the seam . . . with a 3/4 inch or so wide strip running down the outside . . . with the ends of it becoming the anchor points for said shoulder strap.

For garden variety pratice arrows . . . nothing needed . . . but for my broadhead arrows . . . each one goes into a separate plastic tube liner.  

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

I try to use adhesive wherever  I can on joining , stitching etc.    its like an extra pair of hands .

Any chance of seeing the end product? 

HS

Thanks guys this is all very useful. @Dwight That's exactly what I intend to do with the straps, and I'll be sure to use contact cement too. I'm not an archer - the quiver is actually for my niece. I've been asking a lot of questions though. 

@Handstitched I'll make a point to post it! It'll be a few months, it's a christmas present, and with this much learning I'd rather take my time and get it right.

@garypl That stitch is gorgeous. I think I might end up doing some tests - baseball or xxx or whatever, with or without a strip of leather behind. I do like the idea of a glued down strip under the stitch. I extra like the idea of not stitching that down too.

@Handstitched the quiver is complete! I posted a new post in the Show Off forum but thought I'd mention it here too. 

Making of album: https://ibb.co/album/bbvb1X

IMG-0347.jpgIMG-0342.jpg

@Retswerb Thanks! Yes I did, with a strip running the length of the inside of the quiver. I did a test run on a short piece and saw how easily the seam could buckle without reinforcement. 

That looks absolutely great !! Well done  :) You did a great job on the colours .  A lot of medieval clubs would love that. 

HS

Edited by Handstitched