Chux

Holster work...

My apologies if this doesn't belong here but figured if not, someone will let me know and maybe point out a better place to ask...so here goes...

Any suggestions for what model guns to get? There are about a bazillion handguns out there and obviously there is no way of getting one of everything. I'm usually given the gun to use to make sure everything fits well and looks good. Needless to say the holsters I have made were for either myself or friends so it wasn't an issue to hold on to the gun.

Thanks for any suggestions

What kind of holsters do you intend to make? Western, Concealed carry, hunting?

56 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

What kind of holsters do you intend to make? Western, Concealed carry, hunting?

I'd absolutely love to do a western at some point but don't know it there would be any kind of market near me, so I'm thinking mostly concealed or owb at this point 

35 minutes ago, Chux said:

I'd absolutely love to do a western at some point but don't know it there would be any kind of market near me, so I'm thinking mostly concealed or owb at this point 

ok then you have ruled out hundreds of pistols that arent used for concealed carry. I would research popular cc weapons and start from there, 

5 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

ok then you have ruled out hundreds of pistols that arent used for concealed carry. I would research popular cc weapons and start from there, 

Makes a lot of sense, thanks for a starting point 

If I may suggest an answer to a closely related question . . .

After deciding which ones to make holsters for, what gun are you going to use to make the holster? To make a holster, you need a gun to figure dimensions, to use to  mold  the leather to the gun.

It could be your gun, or a friend's gun. If it's a holster for a customer's gun, they probably won't want to part with it.

You could buy one of each gun you wish to make holsters for, but it would be costly.

Some people use a "dummy" or replica of real firearms. They're less expensive than the real thing, don't have to worry about damage to the dummy when handling it or using it to mold the leather.

One source of cast aluminum replicas is Duncan's Customs in Michigan.

https://duncansoutdoor.com/duncans-customs/

Good Luck to you

Thats is pretty much my plan. Although I'd love to tell my wife I "need" all the actual guns to make holsters it ain't happening any time soon. I checked the link and tried emailing for a list but, it came back that the email address couldn't be found...

Use Blue Guns for your holster making.  Lots less expensive than the real thing.  Every holster maker I know uses them.

http://www.bluegunstore.com/

Thats pretty much what I'm thinking, any suggestions for which models? I have no idea how to decide what the most "popular" hand gun are

Start with blue guns for the models you've been making holsters for.  Certain models are ubiquitous,  1911, Glock 19, Ruger SR9,  etc.

Cruise the gun forums for models that are most popular in posts.