Found this pic id like to carve but when i trace it the face doesn’t look right, any tips to make it work for a sling?

BCBF06BD-775C-4D3D-B8F7-2DE9CCDF898F.jpeg

Instead of carving it  . . .   do a control C of the pic . . . paste it into a MS Word page . . . and print the page.

Use waxed paper and a ink jet printer . . . and if I remember the process correctly . . . you then just transfer the wet ink to the leather . . . rub it with a rag . . . till you see there is no more ink left on the wax paper . . . you are done.

NOW . . . I'm going from memory . . . did it 10 or so years ago . . . check out the internet for better directions.  You WILL GET a really nice image if you take your time.  I did my son's face on a piece of leather . . . was really good.

OR . . . if you don't want to do that . . . print it on white paper . . . use school latex glue to glue the paper to the leather . . . then use a wood burning tool to trace and add the lines to the leather by lightly burning it.  Make sure the burner is turned low . . . and take your time.

It also produces a beautiful image if you are patient as you do it.

May God bless,

Dwight

I wonder if there is a water or solvent soluble ink that would completely clean off after tooling?  Neat idea, transferring ink via a waxed paper.

Im actually thinking of scrapping the idea of this elk, looking for an alternative pic now. 

You know, if you are tracing only the basic outlines, most things will look really odd - it’s the shading that truly develops the form.  If the elk still interests you at all, I would say try tracing just the nose on a scrap piece of leather and see if stamping some form into those lines doesn't help develop it to your liking.

Apologies if this is old news to you ;)

4 hours ago, kreauxm said:

You know, if you are tracing only the basic outlines, most things will look really odd - it’s the shading that truly develops the form.  If the elk still interests you at all, I would say try tracing just the nose on a scrap piece of leather and see if stamping some form into those lines doesn't help develop it to your liking.

Apologies if this is old news to you ;)

Not old news at all, no apologies necessary any help i can get is greatly appreciated. 

Im trying to visualize what your saying, im really rusty so its taking alot of effort to fig this out. 

Shoot the sling pattern went through 4 design changes before i was happy with it lol