stelhrse

Solvent vs Water based glues and cements

Good Morning. My hardwood contact cement is about out. I will need to purchase more and have considered the water based types of glues. What experience have you had with them and how well do they work. Thank you for any responses. 

Edited by Northmount
fixec title aand typos

I'm very happy with my water based contact cement. I use Renia Aquilim 315. The only situation where I use solvent based is when I use nylon to reinforce watch straps. I would also probably use it for a non-stitch watch strap, at least if the leather was oily/waxy. 

Ecostik 1816B seems very popular so I would also consider testing that one.

I second the Renia Aquilim 315. I have been using it for about 2 years now and have had no issues with it. Best thing is a little bit goes a long way. It took me a while to figure out the best way apply it to the leather. I found using a flexible nylon spatula works the best for me. Another plus is you can use it anywhere and don't have to worry about fumes like you do with solvent based products.

I love the Aquilim 315 but mostly use Leathercraft Cement, which dries annoying slow and needs clamped, but is very forgiving to work with.

I've used woodworkers type PVA glue which is water based. I usually use a solvent contact adhesive. 

One thing that I've found is that the water based glue will shrink the leather, as any water used on leather will do. 

I've used the PVA on re-wrapping sword grips and the nature that the leather will shrink as the glue dries out pulls the leather tight, and this needs to be taken into consideration in making sure there is sufficient leather. A solvent adhesive does not, in my experience, shrink the leather at all.