AmyK

Dye fail to dye win?

I’d bought some angelus turquoise and was super excited to dye a purse. It went on super unevenly- It was either the sponge I was using or the hide because when I applied it to a different hide with a dauber it did fine.... but I spilled half the bottle so no longer had enough for the purse. So I put it on some panels I’d cut for a notebook for a friend- of course some of the dye got on that super unevenly because of the mess I’d apparently not completely cleaned up. It was a rough afternoon y’all. Anyhow. I shrugged said what the hell it’s ruined anyway let’s see what I can make happen. Tried to even it out with eco flow turquoise which is a surprisingly good match. Added some random smears of evening blue, sand dune (I think?) chartreuse maybe? I dunno. I could never replicate it. I give you my WIP code name: Swamp Thing. 

so? Is it a fail or a win? I can’t decide. It’s either really cool or trash. Should I make the notebook cover?

D9104039-974C-4E28-9D5D-642D47D9976E.jpeg

Edited by AmyK
Clarification

WIN!

It'll be a real one-of-a-kind!

Nothing is a total failure in this lark. We are creating art. It may not turn out the way we planned but its still all good

it's a bold design element produced by serendipity! :)

you should make it, for sure. 

Well it's interesting! It's the sort of thing that someone will just see it and love it. So if the adherence & texture are even and OK, go ahead and use it

I think it would look good with contrasting stitching, like bright red

Some people go a long way to get that sort of effect. Go for it for sure.

Those are called happy mistakes by Bob Ross lol. 

It’s a win, but I would use a blue Or white thread on any stitching :)

5 hours ago, zuludog said:

Well it's interesting! It's the sort of thing that someone will just see it and love it. So if the adherence & texture are even and OK, go ahead and use it

I think it would look good with contrasting stitching, like bright red

It’s dried out and stiff as all hell, but I’ve got some Aussie on it so we’ll see what happens. If I need to oil it some more I will (shoulda done that first but was running out the door and just threw something on it). I’ve got a week til this friend’s birthday. I’ll definitely do some kind of contrast- because this is not a thread color so I wouldn’t have any choice! But maybe off white or blue. 

Just happened to come across this picture from Ashland Leather's Horween wallets. And it looks like your dye drama is actually something they do intentionally. So kudos. :)

120539731_3379235382113952_7159278233246597469_o.jpg

55 minutes ago, ScottWolf said:

Just happened to come across this picture from Ashland Leather's Horween wallets. And it looks like your dye drama is actually something they do intentionally. So kudos. :)

120539731_3379235382113952_7159278233246597469_o.jpg

Today I learned: I’m a f***ing genius 

Now just gonna have to convince it to bend now that it’s got a half gallon of dye in it! I’ve got 6 days. I will not accept defeat

1 hour ago, AmyK said:

Now just gonna have to convince it to bend now that it’s got a half gallon of dye in it! I’ve got 6 days. I will not accept defeat

Have you got any beeswax & nfo mix? rub some of that in. Let it rest in a warm place for a while then work the leather. You might have to repeat this, but that should do the necessary

39 minutes ago, fredk said:

Have you got any beeswax & nfo mix? rub some of that in. Let it rest in a warm place for a while then work the leather. You might have to repeat this, but that should do the necessary

That’s pretty much what I did. Worked the spine with some NFO clamped it bent for ten minutes- good to go. Then sanded and glued. I have it clamped between some boards and will put in the stitching holes tomorrow if the glue stuck enough to keep them together for punching. I honestly just need it not to slide, doesn’t have to stick too strong

Recipient loved it. Asked me to dye her hair the same color. It seems I have a niche. 

:thumbsup:

did you remember to take photos to share with us?

7 hours ago, AmyK said:

Recipient loved it. Asked me to dye her hair the same color. It seems I have a niche. 

Excellent!
But I don't know if the leather dye will work on the hair... :lol:

9 hours ago, DJole said:

Excellent!
But I don't know if the leather dye will work on the hair... :lol:

Used hair dye- no worries

C3AA0913-D5B5-4859-AF9F-EABB683358F6.jpeg

16 hours ago, fredk said:

:thumbsup:

did you remember to take photos to share with us?

41A71E07-C286-4EF9-8256-BF9E3A0AA879.jpeg

Most excellent 

'Pre-distressed' - some people just like that look

At lower school no-one wanted to be seen wearing new denim jeans, :rolleyes2:  :lol: