Kovant

Doubts about leather for boots

Hi

I want to begin to make handwelted boots and I have some doubts. I will be pleased if someone could help me.

I'm gonna use insole + welted + midsole + comando rubber sole.

I use veg tan cowhide for bags, briefcases, etc, and I don't know if I can use the same leather (with other oz) for the insole, welted and midsole or if I have to buy some special leather for it.

I'm doubting too if the leather I usually use it's ok for the stiffeners.

Thank you very much!

I cant help you with your question but have you tried looking up some posts in the Shoe & Boot section? ...

Maybe direct message someone who has posted there that has knowledge on this subject.

I hope you find your answers :cheers:

I will give my experience. 50 years of leather and sewing.  Less than 10 years of

making shoe and boots (hobby) . My choice for insole is veg belly.  I find this conforms

to the feet very well.  I sew the insole thru the upper and into the midsole.  The midsole

is than sewed to outsole in the traditional manner. I use this method so I can use the belly for the insole.

I find cutting the insole to prep for welting compromises the leather. The replacement of the outsole

can be done in the traditional way. See George Koleff  you  will have to go to the Tim Skyrme YouTube site

to access his videos.  thehcc.org is maybe a good choice for your needs.    The listing on this forum

for shoes and boots is well worth reading.

Thank you very much!!

The most important doubt I have is if I can use cowhide veg tan leather (the same type I use for bags and briefcases but with the adequate oz for boots) for the insole and/or midsole and welt (outsole is gonna be of rubber) or if I have to use a different type of veg tan leather.

It's driving me crazy ! :smashcomp:

Thanks!

12 minutes ago, Kovant said:

. . . 

The most important doubt I have is if I can use cowhide veg tan leather (the same type I use for bags and briefcases but with the adequate oz for boots) for the insole and/or midsole and welt (outsole is gonna be of rubber) or if I have to use a different type of veg tan leather.

. . . 

Short answer, yes you can.

even shorter answer, yes

I never made shoes or boots from new, just repaired plenty and I used the same leather I used for making bags et cetera

I found that belly leather, about 1.5 to 2mm, was good for wet forming over the last for the vamp

Thanks!!

Then I understand that it's no necessary a special leather and I can use my cowhide veg tan leather for the insoles, midsoles and welt.

Thanks!!

I have used regular skirting leather for insoles and midsoles

Kovant,

pretty much any semi stiff hide will work,  like i mentioned above i have just been using skirting leather for all of it, so far it works fine, was some thick leather i had gotten from Tandy and didnt want to buy sole bends for learning, so far so good actually, even used it to make heel build up on a pair of logger/hiker work boots. 
i did welted boots the first few pairs but have just been doing stitch down lately, just way faster and easier and just as durable, at least thats what i have found for myself. All my uppers have been from Nubuck or oiled leathers use veg tan calf for liners on most. I know a lot of folks get all uppedy with thread too, but ive been using 1.2mm tiger for stitching the uppers to the midsole. Used that for sewing the welting on first few pairs as well, super strong and resists rotting, linen thread not so much,  again just something i decided to try. 
happy shoe building!