jrny4wrd

rolling belt press

Has anyone turned a rolling press for metal into a belt roller? It seems that they would give more pressure and are a lot cheaper than a press specifically for belts. There are a few patterns I want to continue to use and add some tooled designs too manually.

That is the method used in the hobby card making kits a lot of ladies like using https://www.craftstash.co.uk/spellbinders-platinum-6-a5-die-cutting-embossing-machine.html?___store=default&gclid=Cj0KCQjw5eX7BRDQARIsAMhYLP9HMVUMsoNaoCC555xk_O5Bt3bcYOgrkimf0S53UR5y6x2CNrpJoB8aAi4GEALw_wcB 

I did notice there was a Russian who was making acrylic embossed templates with belt designs on, where you could use a large manual press to emboss onto a belt

The roller machines for die cutting card for card making have a small limit on what can go through them, max is about 4mm (thin aluminium sheet, card stock of max 200gsm, metal die of 2 mm and another aluminium sheet). 

I have a set of the acrylic embossing stamps by that Russian chappie. The stamps are about 4mm. Then add your belt leather, minimum of 3mm.

I'll have another look at these machines when I'm at Hobbycraft next

Fred

What was that Russian fellows name, as I just hunted high and low and could not find him, and last time i found him was probably 6 months or more ago

39 minutes ago, chrisash said:

What was that Russian fellows name, as I just hunted high and low and could not find him, and last time i found him was probably 6 months or more ago

Is this the one you know of? Its the chappie I've bought from. A good & helpful chap.

Currently,   toolmaniac

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/toolmaniac/m.html?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEFSXS%3AMESOI&_trksid=p2053788.m1543.l2654

I've bought two items from him.

1. a single short Celtic lace: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Celtic-Style-Leather-Belts-Embossing-Stamp-For-embossing-VegTan-Tooling-Leather/224174510639?hash=item3431d7922f:g:KMoAAOSww5hZNZki

2. a 4 piece Celtic lace: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stamp-Set-4-for-Embossing-Vegetable-Tannned-Tooling-Leather-Belt-Blanks/224174509535?hash=item3431d78ddf:g:KPAAAOSwEHpZNZkh 

edited, to add. A few years ago a friend jokingly suggested I get a table top old fashioned clothes wringer for embossing larger areas, eg book cover fronts. I've considered them but they go for top ££

Edited by fredk

How did you get on with the 4 piece one and what did you use for a press, it is the one i thought of buying but never took it further

Were you please with the results and so did they last more than a couple of uses?

Edited by chrisash

6 hours ago, chrisash said:

That is the method used in the hobby card making kits a lot of ladies like using https://www.craftstash.co.uk/spellbinders-platinum-6-a5-die-cutting-embossing-machine.html?___store=default&gclid=Cj0KCQjw5eX7BRDQARIsAMhYLP9HMVUMsoNaoCC555xk_O5Bt3bcYOgrkimf0S53UR5y6x2CNrpJoB8aAi4GEALw_wcB 

I did notice there was a Russian who was making acrylic embossed templates with belt designs on, where you could use a large manual press to emboss onto a belt

I had seen those acrylic plates before, just wasn’t certain on how well they worked. I guess nothing will beat tooling, but they seem to not be very detailed. 

1 hour ago, chrisash said:

How did you get on with the 4 piece one and what did you use for a press, it is the one i thought of buying but never took it further

Were you please with the results and so did they last more than a couple of uses?

1. I use them in my Tandy press which is about 1.25 tons pressure afair

2. I use a 3mm steel plate over them to spread the load. The plate is the width of the stamp and the length of the longest piece

3. I adjust my press so that the stamp (any stamp) goes only so far into the leather

4. On the first stamp I do the centre of the stamp first to locate it then I work to the left of centre, then the right of centre. I know when its stamped well as a further pull on the press handle does not put any more pressure on the stamp

5. (See below) on the next stamps I first do the end which goes on the end of the last piece, then the centre, left and right et cetera

6. On other stamping/embossing tools I have you need to align the ends of the first stamping with the next one and so on. It needs very careful alignment to get it straight and no gaps. With the stamps this Russian chappie makes you overlap the second piece onto the end of the first. This does two things. 1. you get perfect alignment, 2. you can adjust the overlap to make the total stamping different lengths. This overlap is why in 5 above I do the end of the next piece first, to fix it in place.

7. They are excellent quality. They are thick enough for use and very detailed. As the chappie says, they are for use in a press, not for use with a hammer

1 hour ago, jrny4wrd said:

I had seen those acrylic plates before, just wasn’t certain on how well they worked. I guess nothing will beat tooling, but they seem to not be very detailed. 

8. Plenty of detail. How much do you need? I use these as a border on some game boards. It used to take me several hours to do four of these Celtic lace designs on a board

883977513_Hnboardpattern01LWs.jpg.5d29428fd5f6b838d262e5d33df6ba33.jpg

Now I can do all four in about 15 minutes, and that suits super-lazy me!

This is the short one piece one. I bought this one first, found it was too short for my liking so I then bought the 4 piece set. This is just a test/sample pressing which I keep with the stamp. Its on too thin a leather for the stamps best to show up

2004047013_Celticacyrlicstamp01LWs.jpg.764810a933cd04056fcb0af9a069f116.jpg

A close-up of part of the stamping

1065661891_Celticacyrlicstamp02LWs.jpg.5716495955e446dd774f537553ca8b4f.jpg

Plenty of detail there to keep me happy

On 10/3/2020 at 7:22 PM, jrny4wrd said:

Has anyone turned a rolling press for metal into a belt roller? It seems that they would give more pressure and are a lot cheaper than a press specifically for belts. There are a few patterns I want to continue to use and add some tooled designs too manually.

On 10/4/2020 at 9:37 AM, chrisash said:

On 10/4/2020 at 12:52 PM, fredk said:

The roller machines for die cutting card for card making have a small limit on what can go through them, max is about 4mm (thin aluminium sheet, card stock of max 200gsm, metal die of 2 mm and another aluminium sheet). 

. . . .

I'll have another look at these machines when I'm at Hobbycraft next

I was in Hobbycraft today and tried to check out one of their card cutting presses.

I say tried, cos they were out of stock. However, a nice young lady went and searched out the information required.

This is for their machine priced at £54. https://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/sizzix-big-shot-die-cutting-machine/606169-1000

Cutting width is 15.6 cm

Cutting depth is 1.6 centimeters, so I was waaaay off

I reckon this has potential.

I'm for ordering one of these machines

I already use some of the card cutting steel templates for impressing into leather. Here is just one example, the knitting things, not the letters*. You can buy literally thousands of different pictures in different sizes for only a £/$ or two through ebay   

* I got the angle wrong on this one, the knitting looks too much like a flag, but the lady still liked it

1696394340_Bookcovertype2Jean01LWs.jpg.b71b44d069c70eb121ead8e182362e7c.jpg

and a correction from me,

On 10/4/2020 at 3:34 PM, fredk said:

I kept calling this a 4 piece set, its only 3 piece and its his number 4 set. I got the numbers mixed up

Edited by fredk