My oldest son added a wood-fired sauna and a woodshed in his back yard about two weeks ago. Realizing something was missing, he called asking me to build him an axe. So I got an old Collins phantom bevel head, de-burred, sharpened and re-handled it, and made this sheath. It chops and splits wood like an eager beaver. If he doesn't like it he can ship it back to me!

20201004_134657.jpg

20201004_134726.jpg

20201004_134750.jpg

oh man that's nice iron and nice leather!

1 hour ago, chuck123wapati said:

oh man that's nice iron and nice leather!

Thanks! I love old axes, and I hope that's how my son feels about it!

Well, I kept looking at that sheath and seeing things I didn't like. Its just too wonky. So rather than call it quits and sending it to my son, I have remade the sheath to hopefully shake out most of the stuff that didn't age well with me. I could make it yet  again and continue to improve it, but that would be overkill when there are new projects to tackle. This will do.

20210101_154500.jpg

Welcome woodshed. Looks like you're doing ok but what we can't see is if you're making sure the edge can't get to the stitches?

7 hours ago, toxo said:

Welcome woodshed. Looks like you're doing ok but what we can't see is if you're making sure the edge can't get to the stitches?

Yes, the stitches are fully protected by a thick leather bolster. All pieces are skived down to reduce overall thickness and make the stitching a bit easier (its still not easy with leather so thick), but the bolster itself is full width along the cutting edge.

20210102_081737.jpg

11 hours ago, Woodshed said:

Yes, the stitches are fully protected by a thick leather bolster. All pieces are skived down to reduce overall thickness and make the stitching a bit easier (its still not easy with leather so thick), but the bolster itself is full width along the cutting edge.

Good job. Another, perhaps easier way would be to extend the left hand side (first pic) so it comes up against the shaft making it impossible for the edge to reach the stitches. Then no need for a welt along the bottom.

Welt! I tried to recall that word for it but it just wouldn't bubble up through the gray matter. Maybe age related lol. Hate when I know there is a better word to use and can't think of it. Thanks toxo!

I see how the welt could safely be omitted that way, but welts give me some extra reassurance and sort of play to my comfort zone.

What I want to make easier is stitching, think its time for a stitching clam. There is so much wasted motion saddle stitching without one.