JeannieH

Anyone know how to do this lacing technique?

I want to do this type of lacing on my bag. But I cannot find a video with this specific look. Anyone out there can help me? I can’t tell if they used straight cuts or punched holes for this. 

B8C5DA38-82CB-4FE2-A0D4-80F4A40C4502.jpeg

45 minutes ago, JeannieH said:

Anyone out there can help me? I can’t tell if they used straight cuts or punched holes for this. 

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you are looking for, but it might help you see what could be going on here. It is Bruce Grant's book "Encyclopedia of Rawhide and Leather Braiding." I've done this braid with punched holes, but straight cuts could work too, depending on the thickness of the lace. His drawings show oblong holes, so he has split the difference.

S-type-applique-of-one-thong.jpg

It's too out of focus to tell. It looks like an overstitch, or a machine stitch, with a V stitch overlaid by a runnung stitch of some sort. A picture of the rear of the stitching would also help.

Here is a better picture. The bag has the name whip stitch in it. I don’t have the bag it’s an image off the Internet. 

67982351-DA36-40E9-A692-47E35C132A40.jpeg

1 hour ago, LatigoAmigo said:

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you are looking for, but it might help you see what could be going on here. It is Bruce Grant's book "Encyclopedia of Rawhide and Leather Braiding." I've done this braid with punched holes, but straight cuts could work too, depending on the thickness of the lace. His drawings show oblong holes, so he has split the difference.

S-type-applique-of-one-thong.jpg

Thanks. That does look similar! I will take a better look so I can try it.

18 minutes ago, JeannieH said:

That does look similar!

In the drawing the lace looks a little on the narrow side. Wider lace might just give you the look you want.

It's been worked from the bottom to the top, two lines of slits, Up Two Crossing RL before LR on the front, Down One Straight on the back.

1. Take a long length of lace, halve it, and insert it equally through the second holes from the end, from the front.

2. Run both tails back through the bottom slots just beneath.

3. Run the right tail through the next slot up on the left side, then the left likewise on the right side.

4. Repeat from step 2 until the tails are too short. Complete a step 3, then run them down as if to thread a step 2, but glue them down and trim short rather than running them through the holes.. Restart with a fresh lace from step 1, in the holes you just used to bury the tails, so the new lace hold the old tails down, then continue normally. An alternative would be to skive-join, gluing new lace on, but it's a recipe for a mess at your level, the crossing lace isn't visible as it's buried by the overlacing..

8 hours ago, Rahere said:

It's been worked from the bottom to the top, two lines of slits, Up Two Crossing RL before LR on the front, Down One Straight on the back.

1. Take a long length of lace, halve it, and insert it equally through the second holes from the end, from the front.

2. Run both tails back through the bottom slots just beneath.

3. Run the right tail through the next slot up on the left side, then the left likewise on the right side.

4. Repeat from step 2 until the tails are too short. Complete a step 3, then run them down as if to thread a step 2, but glue them down and trim short rather than running them through the holes.. Restart with a fresh lace from step 1, in the holes you just used to bury the tails, so the new lace hold the old tails down, then continue normally. An alternative would be to skive-join, gluing new lace on, but it's a recipe for a mess at your level, the crossing lace isn't visible as it's buried by the overlacing..

Ok! I will have to read what you typed a few times because right now it’s not clicking lol. If you find a video of someone doing what you are saying shoot me the link!

9 hours ago, LatigoAmigo said:

In the drawing the lace looks a little on the narrow side. Wider lace might just give you the look you want.

Ok I will test it out.

The first pattern used a single end, burying the other. That produced the lopsided lace, because it has ro move up the work.

A balanced lace, by comparison, uses both ends. What you're looking at is the reverse of two parallel lines of backstitch, with the overlap turned into a decorative crossover. The underside is the normal front. If you were to use complementary colours, gluing the tails rather than crossing them at the start, you'd get a sine wave effect, I think.

4 hours ago, Rahere said:

The first pattern used a single end, burying the other. That produced the lopsided lace, because it has ro move up the work.

A balanced lace, by comparison, uses both ends. What you're looking at is the reverse of two parallel lines of backstitch, with the overlap turned into a decorative crossover. The underside is the normal front. If you were to use complementary colours, gluing the tails rather than crossing them at the start, you'd get a sine wave effect, I think.

Ok. I understand what you are saying but I still don’t understand how to do it lol! I understand that in the picture of the bag I attached..they used one lace instead of halving the lace and using two ends...and that the part shown is actually the backside of the type of lacing technique...right?

now..I need to figure out your instructions for doing it because I’m not completely understanding your wording for some reason.

17 hours ago, JeannieH said:

Here is a better picture. The bag has the name whip stitch in it. I don’t have the bag it’s an image off the Internet. 

67982351-DA36-40E9-A692-47E35C132A40.jpeg

Thanks. That does look similar! I will take a better look so I can try it.

Looks like this will do it for me. Thanks for you guys helping me. Looks like I need to add lacing on my learning list because there are so many beautiful decorative techniques out there.

58 minutes ago, JeannieH said:

Looks like I need to add lacing on my learning list because there are so many beautiful decorative techniques out there.

For about $10 you can buy the book on Amazon that inspired me and opened the doors to doing leatherwork over the last 50 years. By Bruce Grant, it is simply called "Leather Braiding." A great place to start.

https://www.amazon.com/Tandy-Leather-Braiding-Book-6022-00/dp/087033039X/ref=pd_lpo_14_t_2/145-1872454-7290226?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=087033039X&pd_rd_r=ccc71bae-2187-442e-a331-e0cdd39da7cb&pd_rd_w=qiYp5&pd_rd_wg=aWXHn&pf_rd_p=7b36d496-f366-4631-94d3-61b87b52511b&pf_rd_r=WD965AMQZBR1RAZPY2BH&psc=1&refRID=WD965AMQZBR1RAZPY2BH

2 hours ago, JeannieH said:

Ok. I understand what you are saying but I still don’t understand how to do it lol! I understand that in the picture of the bag I attached..they used one lace instead of halving the lace and using two ends...and that the part shown is actually the backside of the type of lacing technique...right?

now..I need to figure out your instructions for doing it because I’m not completely understanding your wording for some reason.

Let's try it this way, looking from the front.

= 5 =
 = 4 =
 = 3 =
 = 2 =
 = 1 =

Push one end of the lace through each of the slots marked 2.
Bring both back to the front through the slots marked 1, without crossing, straight down, left through left, right through right.
Push the end on the RIGHT through the LEFT slot marked 3.
Push the other end (the lower of the two on the LEFT) through the RIGHT slot marked 3. The laces have crossed sides.
Bring both back to the front through the slots marked 2, without crossing, straight down. 

Continue, going up 2 rows each time and crossing the same every time on the front, down one row on the back, never crossing.

So 2-1, 1X3, 3-2, 2X4, 4-3, 3X5, 5-4, 4X6...alternately back-front-back-front, where "X" has the laces cross sides, always going forwards 2 rows on the front, and  "-" has the laces keep to their same side, always 1 row backwards, on the back.

Edited by Rahere

5 hours ago, Rahere said:

Let's try it this way, looking from the front.

= 5 =
 = 4 =
 = 3 =
 = 2 =
 = 1 =

Push one end of the lace through each of the slots marked 2.
Bring both back to the front through the slots marked 1, without crossing, straight down, left through left, right through right.
Push the end on the RIGHT through the LEFT slot marked 3.
Push the other end (the lower of the two on the LEFT) through the RIGHT slot marked 3. The laces have crossed sides.
Bring both back to the front through the slots marked 2, without crossing, straight down. 

Continue, going up 2 rows each time and crossing the same every time on the front, down one row on the back, never crossing.

So 2-1, 1X3, 3-2, 2X4, 4-3, 3X5, 5-4, 4X6...alternately back-front-back-front, where "X" has the laces cross sides, always going forwards 2 rows on the front, and  "-" has the laces keep to their same side, always 1 row backwards, on the back.

Ok just saw your response! I will try that in the morning! Thank you for taking the time to explain it differently to me!