Sign in to follow this  
Kovac

If you had to chose - 205 374 or 205 370

Hey, 

i found a dealer who has both these machines in stock. I asked him to show me some proof of sewing (before i make the drive and test it) and to give me a price. it was 2850€ for 374 and 3500€ for 370.

Now as far as I understand the only difference is that 374 has smooth feed dogs?  Which one would you choose? The 370 is more expensive, but i think this might be because  its newer (based on pictures). The 374 might be more suited for leatherwork due to smooth feed dogs.  I'm attaching both photos.

Thanks

adler-205-374-29981.jpg

durkopp-adler-205-370-29754.jpg

The 374 is the earlier version of the 205.   There are more differences than just the feed dogs and feet. It was produced for about the first 6 months of the machines introduction.  The machine was delayed about 15 months before it came to market.  Adler was still working out the bugs.  Keep in mind this was late 1985 when the machine was introduced!  Adler made a number of changes to the machine after the first 6 months it was on the market.  Larger handwheel, different lift system which  they eliminated.  Durkopp bought Adler 20 years ago.  I know a lot about these machines.  I have sewn on both and worked on both.  In fact, I sent samples of materials to be sewn on to Adler in 1984.  They were sent to Germany and sewn on before the 374 before it was introduced.  I still have the samples in a file cabinet!

I would spend the extra money and buy the 370.  Reason. The availability of parts on the older machine.    I have a 370.  We had both at the place I retired from.  Both sew great. If you ever want to put a binder on it, the 370 has the plug hole in the arm to connect the binder to.  The 374 does not.  Both machines look in great shape.  The 374 was built in Germany.  The 370 in the Czech Republic.  No real difference in quality.  Also, the 370 is on an off the arm stand which I prefer.

glenn

Edited by shoepatcher

Hey  thanks for the reply. Yeah, most of my knowledge was gained by browsing some comparison topics around here so it has alot of holes in it.

I do remember someone saying its good to replace the needle plate and feed dog on the 370 with smooth ones (Kh 205m was the part i believe). And the price seems for for a machine like that.

Yes, replace feed dog and throat plate with non toothed or smooth parts.  Tell the dealer if you buy the 370 model, you want smooth parts on it!!

glenn