RAMPER

JUKI LU-563 Needle CONFUSION

I am confused about the needle I need for a LU-563.  I have attached the manual.  Does the LU-563 ONLY use #23 needles?  And what is the difference between DNX 17 and DNX 1?

I thought the 563 was just a LARGE bobbin 562, so they should use the same needles

LU-563 Needle.PNG

No, it's recommending a #23 needle for a subclass 3 of the LU-563.  You can use 135x17 needles sizes 18 to 23.  Or 135x16 needles for leather.

You can use any size needle - some industrials manuals just list a 23 as the suggested size - I suppose to signify it’s ability to sew with heavier thread.

The maximum needle size is determined by one or more factors, including: the diameter of the hole in the feed dog or throat plate and the position of the hook in relation to the scarf in the needle and how far it can be moved and remain in time. Those are physical limits.

Additionally, there are thread handling limits that apply to any given sewing machine. Some machines have stronger or weaker take-up levers and crank shafts in the head. Some, if not most upholstery grade walking foot machines are built with an upper thread size limit of #138 (T-135) bonded thread, which has a breaking strength of 22 pounds. If that machine is threaded with #138 thread on top and in the bobbin, that is its safe design limit. Coincidentally, that thread combination calls for a #23 (Metric 160) needle.

While those machines will operate with #138 thread using a #23 needle, they are happier running #69 or 92 thread with a #18 or 19 needle, respectively. All of the stresses are reduced with thinner thread and needles.

Jumping in here because I'm having some difficulty with my 563. I can't figure out needles aswell. Trying to sew binding on carpet and the machine is sewing it, but having a hard time. Using #69 thread and I'm assuming 135x16 needle. It came with a full pack that size but I'm unsure. Any one know the proper size I should be using?

4 hours ago, Rachal said:

Jumping in here because I'm having some difficulty with my 563. I can't figure out needles aswell. Trying to sew binding on carpet and the machine is sewing it, but having a hard time. Using #69 thread and I'm assuming 135x16 needle. It came with a full pack that size but I'm unsure. Any one know the proper size I should be using?

Rachael, “135x16” is the type of needle, but that is not the size of eye in the needle.   The “16” seems to throw people off, but just remember it’s nothing to do with eye size.   Also keep in mind “135x16” is for leather - for carpet or fabric you want to use “135x17”.    For #69 you’ll want an 18 size needle. 

It’s definitely confusing at first because needles often have a lot of other information that clouds the waters.   A pack of needles will look something like the photo below - you just want to make sure it states the correct size - size 18 for your thread - and that it states 135x17.   All the other numbers are what this kind of needle is referred to by other manufacturers, so don’t be concerned with them.

I hope this helps.  

DE222B63-245A-4BF6-8905-ADDAE8C9EBBC.jpeg

Thank you very much!

DNX1, that's more like a bag closer needle.

Some of the older Juki books did contain errors, for sure their old LG-158 book.

Edited by Gregg From Keystone Sewing

Sorry to bump an old thread. 

Does it matter if the needles are ball point or regular point? I am looking to use 207 thread in a 563 with leather.

14 hours ago, Millerville said:

Does it matter if the needles are ball point or regular point? I am looking to use 207 thread in a 563 with leather.

Neither of those is really suitable for leather.  Both are meant for fabrics.  You want to use needles specifically for leather - of which there are a few types.  LR comes to mind offhand.  This may be helpful.  

- Bill

Schmetz leather-needles.pdf

Just now, billybopp said:

Neither of those is really suitable for leather.  Both are meant for fabrics.  You want to use needles specifically for leather - of which there are a few types.  LR comes to mind offhand.  This may be helpful.  

- Bill

Schmetz leather-needles.pdf 907.23 kB · 0 downloads

Groz Beckert needle_points_leather.pdf

18 hours ago, Millerville said:

Your machine uses Systen 135x16 leather point and 135x17 round point needles. Round points are for cloth and woven materials. These needles gracefully separate the fibers as the penetrate the material. The actual holes tend to heal as the stitches are locked. Leather point needles have different configurations. All of them will cut through the leather fibers destructively, leaving room to pull up large knots from bonded thread. If you use a leather point on cloth, it may sever the fibers, weakening the material. A dead giveaway that you are using a round point in leather is the squeak the needle makes as it fights to penetrate the leather. It heats up and leather fibers will stick to the hot needle.

Buy 135x16 needles for leather! Some designs lay the stitches on angles, like hand stitching. Others sew inline, like the Schmetz S  and most diamond, or tri points.