toxo

Dense rubber cutting mat.

When I'm using one of my clicker knives under my 1 ton arbor press, I'm usually walking it around the knife on 2.4mm veg tan with a 6mm silicone cutting board underneath and it's not easy on some bits to feel when it's gone through and sometimes I'm halfway through the silicone mat. One time I went all the way through. I know the rubber clicker type mats are really expensive but it's something I might have to consider. Doesn't need to be large. Say 6inch square at least and preferably around 10 inches. Haven't got a clue about thickness.

So what are you guys using and where can I find it please?

On 10/8/2020 at 12:45 PM, toxo said:

Say 6 inch square

Try UHMW Poly.  I had picked up some scrap pieces a few years ago.  That's what I have on my 1 ton arbor press.  It's about 3/4" thick.  I see some on Amazon 1/4, 1/2" thick. 

Or use a flat poly kitchen cutting board.

Tom

28 minutes ago, Northmount said:

Try UHMW Poly.  I had picked up some scrap pieces a few years ago.  That's what I have on my 1 ton arbor press.  It's about 3/4" thick.  I see some on Amazon 1/4, 1/2" thick. 

Or use a flat poly kitchen cutting board.

Tom

Thanks Tom, I'll have a look but I'm getting more confused by the day. One of my oval shapes went straight through the 6mm silicone board when I wasn't paying attention. I bought a 3mm one that's much too hard. People are recommending stuff but they're not saying if a clicker die will go through it.  In my head I'm thinking conveyor belt material would be about right but I don't know where to find it.

15 minutes ago, toxo said:

clicker die will go through it

You may leave a mark on the surface of the UHMW, but you won't go through it.  Even the 1/8" stuff, I don't think you can go through that either.

Tom

2 minutes ago, Northmount said:

You may leave a mark on the surface of the UHMW, but you won't go through it.  Even the 1/8" stuff, I don't think you can go through that either.

Tom

That's good to know. But searching on Ebay for it says UHMW but further down it calls it High Density Polyethelene (HDPE) like this one. I know yhere are different grades.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UHMW-PE-High-Density-Polyethylene-10mm-Sheet-Natural-Translucent-White-300mm-x/293759650336?hash=item4465708a20:g:jowAAOSw6olfc2wA

This one I've  got in my basket until something else comes along

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HDPE-Sheet-NATURAL-BLACK-High-Density-Polyethylene-PEHD-Polythene-mm/401002482629?var=670531748255

I've also looked at Neoprene but know nothing about it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEOPRENE-RUBBER-PAD-200MMSQ-X-1MM-1-5MM-2MM-AND-3MMTHK/230691451712?var=530044149373

1 hour ago, toxo said:

High Density Polyethelene (HDPE) like this one.

Looks like kitchen cutting boards.  They work.  I use them with drive punches and thonging chisels and such.

Tom

I use conveyor belt cut offs from an industrial conveyor belt. I got it from a company that makes them. For free and Much more than I needed. All for the low low price of letting the guy help me put it in my car. (It was close than the dumpster.) 

regarding conveyor belt...

you may want to be careful on whats IN the belt.  Some may have some steel webbing inside.

Thanks for the replies peeps. Been changing my project room around and being small I have tp move stuff five times. Still, it'll be better for it. Will come back when I find something.

Not sure sure bout the UK. Most moderate size cities in the states have rubber belting companies in them. Like mentioned above, many have scraps  in the size you need. Often for free. worth looking into.  

On 10/10/2020 at 3:08 PM, $$hobby said:

regarding conveyor belt...

you may want to be careful on whats IN the belt.  Some may have some steel webbing inside.

Very true, that's why I tell them I'm using it as a cutting mat. 

I use a 12 inch self healing cutting match.  It does not leave an imprint from previous cutting and your knife will not get bogged done in a previous cut.  I've found them on Amazon.  My newest mat is 36 X 48 for when I'm cutting large selections of leather.

I've ordered one of these. There is a conveyor belt piece on Ebay that'a slightly more expensive but I was drawn to this one.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HDPE-Sheet-NATURAL-BLACK-High-Density-Polyethylene-PEHD-Polythene-mm/401002482629?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=670531748255&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

And because I make the dies with a wood core I'll just have to make sure the thickness doesn't allow the knife to go too deep.

IMG_20200518_231205.jpg

1 hour ago, Danne said:

Thanks Danne. The HDPE one that I ordered turned out good. No give in it but soft enough surface to not damage the dies. I put a longer bar in my arbor press with a decent spring on the back end and the ease of use now is great.

28 minutes ago, toxo said:

Thanks Danne. The HDPE one that I ordered turned out good. No give in it but soft enough surface to not damage the dies. I put a longer bar in my arbor press with a decent spring on the back end and the ease of use now is great.

I think you made a good choice. I guess you bought a regular HDPE-board, not specifically made for dye cutting? And my guess is that those Hydroma boards I linked too cost a lot more, and for a company that use them like eight hours a day it can probably be worth spending the extra money, but for more "normal use" my guess is that your board will do the job for a long time (Amateur thoughts here, because I have no experience with dye cutting)

1 minute ago, Danne said:

I think you made a good choice. I guess you bought a regular HDPE-board, not specifically made for dye cutting? And my guess is that those Hydroma boards I linked too cost a lot more, and for a company that use them like eight hours a day it can probably be worth spending the extra money, but for more "normal use" my guess is that your board will do the job for a long time (Amateur thoughts here, because I have no experience with dye cutting)

It was Fred that suggested it. I was skeptical because that's what milk cartons are made of but I guess there are different grades. 

Before the fire I had an old school mud flap from a semi that I used to cut on. The fronts sometimes have molded logos, but the backs are flat.

I should add that we lost everything in a wildfire 8 years ago. THAT fire.

Edited by tsunkasapa

36 minutes ago, tsunkasapa said:

Before the fire I had an old school mud flap from a semi that I used to cut on. The fronts sometimes have molded logos, but the backs are flat.

I should add that we lost everything in a wildfire 8 years ago. THAT fire.

Can't think of anything worse that those fires. Hope your losses were only material.

2 hours ago, toxo said:

Can't think of anything worse that those fires. Hope your losses were only material.

We lost one cat about 4 days after, smoke damage? All other animals (us included) made it through. Everything else was just "stuff". Some was important, some was sentimental, some was expensive. But it was still just stuff. Life is now as normal as it ever gets around here. :crazy:

9 hours ago, tsunkasapa said:

We lost one cat about 4 days after, smoke damage? All other animals (us included) made it through. Everything else was just "stuff". Some was important, some was sentimental, some was expensive. But it was still just stuff. Life is now as normal as it ever gets around here. :crazy:

My thoughts always go to the animals. We can get away hopefully but the animals have got nowhere to go.

We got all of the sled dogs loaded up and the horses, but "barn cats" aren't pets, so they can't be caught at the best of times.

But they all hang out at the pump house where we feed and water them, and by some stroke of luck, it didn't burn. But I imagine

they were scared "hissless" the whole time.