toxo

Adler 69 question

I've got the tension balanced going through two pieces of 2.4mm veg tan. But the stitches are laying on the top and when I try to put more tension on top and bottm I start to run into trouble. I'm using V92 and a 110/120 needle. Is this the right needle/thread combo for two layers of 2.4mm or should I go heavier?

Whilst I'm here can someone please tell me what the small adjuster on top of the pressure bar is for? I'm assuming the main adjuster is for pressure and the bottom one is for locking it down but I have no idea what the small one on top is for.

I would have thought this was an easy one for some of you gurus?

if the underthread goes up it means that you have stretched your thread too much if you put pictures it will be better.

I don't know what V92 stands for

Edited by paloma

4 minutes ago, paloma said:

if the underthread goes up it means that you have stretched your thread too much if you put pictures it will be better.

I don't know what V92 stands for

I mean the thread is looking ok but is laying on the top of both sides instead of pulling into the leather but when I increase the pressure on both sides I start to get frayed/ broken thread or even a bent or broken needle.

Thread is V92 or T90 or Tkt 30

always post pictures....

Why more top tension when the thread is laying on top side?

110/120 sounds right for #92 thread. When the thread knot shows up on top side the needle hole is wide enough at least.

When thread knot is visible on top the bottom tension is too low or top tension too high I´d say. Maybe dirt / lint has accumulated under the bobbin case tension spring and you do not get enough bottom tension because of that. Or reduce top tension...

grafik.png.801ea5e28eb86002e0af72086929ac2e.png

8 minutes ago, toxo said:

I mean the thread is looking ok but is laying on the top of both sides instead of pulling into the leather but when I increase the pressure on both sides I start to get frayed/ broken thread or even a bent or broken needle.

Thread is V92 or T90 or Tkt 30

when the leather is to hard / stiff thread will not pull into the leather you have to make a groove before stitching.

You find leather groover / creaser for less than 5 bucks on Ebay. Just bought one a couple of weeks ago.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/7-In-1-Adjustable-Stitching-Groover-Crease-Edger-Leather-Craft-Tools-DIY-Set-Kit/362999943070

works surprisingly well for that money.

Edited by Constabulary

Check the bobbin case tension spring for dirt, wear etc. That can cause a loss of underside tension. 

On 10/8/2020 at 9:15 PM, toxo said:

Whilst I'm here can someone please tell me what the small adjuster on top of the pressure bar is for? I'm assuming the main adjuster is for pressure and the bottom one is for locking it down but I have no idea what the small one on top is for.

thats for foot pressure too - never understood why they did that - Pfaff did that as well. Maybe for "fine tuning"

EDIT:

which one you mean? The screw on the top I guess

The "collar" / thumb nut is for locking.

69.jpg

Edited by Constabulary

try with another new needle

I have a 69 too and when i have this type of problem it's because i have a pressure important in the needle thread. ( when the bobbin thread is visible on top )

Edited by paloma

Thanks guys. Been busy today will come back with some pics.

Thanks Folker for clearing up the odd screw.

Found the take up spring was trapped behind the assembly instead of in front and free to move.