Hello,

I am having issues with my black dye having an almost red discoloration to it, as you can see in the photo. I am using Fiebings Pro Black Dye on Hermann Oak veg tan. 

Any ideas as to what may be the cause? I was thinking perhaps the Neatsfoot Oil being applied prior to dyeing could be the issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you!

F7A5A830-984A-4879-A38F-FA4F39E9863C.jpeg

Ahhh I’m an idiot. Pretty sure I applied the dye too heavily...After doing a little digging, I found that a quick wipe-down with a cloth soaked in rubbing alcohol fixed the problem!

Some dyes will do that.  Pigment floats to the surface as it dries and needs to be rubbed off.  I was not aware that black dye would do that!  But now I know.  Thanks. 

It does make sense, though. The reason it looked red is that there really are no true blacks in inks and dyes other then squid ink.  Everything else is a very dark version of other colors, usually red, blue or green.  I helped a friend of the family do a science fair project when he was in high school in which he tool different brands of ballpoint pens, made a mark on some blotter paper and diluted it with alcohol which then spread it out on the blotter paper so that you could see what the true color was!  He won the science fair.

- Bill

Hi

Vinegaroon doesn't do that.  Good stuff.   Roon isn't a dye though, dip the leather for 10 minutes then rinse in a baking soda solution.

Later

Edited by 1961Mike