Sign in to follow this  
MikeF

Leather Strap Temper--Need Help Sourcing

Not quite sure how to even describe or illustrate my need...so the photo...shows two similarly sized straps....one (on the left) is stiff and the other on the right is...less stiff.  I need to specify and source veg tan leather tempered to give me the "less stiff".  I can't even describe it so I don't know how or where to get it...I'm getting some complaints from a couple of clients that the shoulder straps I'm providing are too stiff and uncomfortable. I would like to get too a much more pliable/less stiff strap that I can double (half as lining) and stitch and still achieve a comfortable shoulder strap.

Appreciate any help...how can I specify what I'm looking (temper/hardness) and where can I get it?  Is there a "shore hardness scale" for leather or other way to specify (soft, medium soft, medium,  hard, etc.)

Thanks.

StrapTemperCompare1.jpg

What are you ordering now?

2 ways; 

1. order belly leather, than is usually very supple, but it can be stretchy as well

2. tell your supplier that you want supple and not stiff. I have a good working relationship with my leather supplier, Le Prevo, and I can tell them what I want and they sort it out for me

Appreciate the response...

I usually get HO from Weaver and Springfield...usually I will buy a side or two in the sizes I need...last order I bought 2 wide rolls the length of a side (I think from Springfield)...thinking I didn't want any belly (sound you hear is hand slapping forehead)...then I strip the strap size I need from the backs. Straps I'm making I pretty much need the entire length of the back. I've also bought a bucket load of pre-cut HO straps...most are pretty stiff though they do soften up with a little oil and time...they make marginal shoulder straps for my application...and if I line them they make marginal fence posts...and if I put six of them side by side they would probably make a marginal cattle guard. <grin>

Thanks for the thoughts...and the descriptor...I'll give it a try.