Bluestar

Juki LU 563 - Need help or opinions

Hi, I'm new to this forum but this seems like the right place to get some help and opinions on my new machine. I picked up this machine using fb marketplace for $250 Canadian after searching for a few weeks. The seller mentioned her sister worked in the apparel industry and used the machine for her personal non-work projects, it was not a company machine. When the seller came into possession of the machine she found it overkill for her projects and preferred her singer domestic machine instead. It seems like its in very good shape mechanically, the paint has seen better days. It has a clutch motor but I plan on replacing it with a servo. The insides have a fair amount of built up lint, I suspect from using excessive oil and infrequent cleanings. I'm planning on using it for some projects I have in mind - canvas tent, backpacks and anything else that pops up. I'm hoping you all can help me answer the following:

- is this as good of a deal as I think it is?

- any good videos of the teardown and rebuilt would be much appreciated, youtube wasn't so helpful it seemed

- any recommendations of needle, thread suppliers (preferably a member of this forum) in the Greater Toronto Area or in Ontario, Canada in general

- what is the best way to clean the machine, I'm guessing isopropyl and a cloth/toothbrush? 

- should I clean the machine first, re-oil everything and then test it? or should I test it, troubleshoot and then tear it down, clean, and replace any parts at that stage?

- the reverse paddle doesn't seem to go all the way back up when its depressed, could this mean the spring needs to be replaced or is that normal?

- a good resource on how to tell the best thread size and needle combinations, and what thread size to use in my various projects

- it came with U size bobbins but the owner had it set up with a pre-loaded 'bobbin' made of cardboard, see pictures of bobbin case - what's that about?

- I read somewhere the walking foot could be removed, some parts replaced and it would function as a quasi-needle feed machine, is this true?

- would a servo motor with needle positioning be helpful enough to warrant the upgrade cost? My main Brother machine has needle position, auto beginning/end lock stitching and thread cutter, its the bee's knees. 

Yes I am aware I have a bike addiction, apparently its spread to sewing machines now too.

Thank you,

Edited by Northmount
Edited at OP's request

You've chosen a great model.  The Juki heads are notably heavier than comparable upholstery weight machines.  I feel this translates to improved build quality.

Oil it, and test it out.  Time it and give it a tune.  Surface rust / light corrosion on working parts can be buffed off with a scotch brite pad.  Clean lint away with a small brush.  

If the reverse spring is weak, it could be a broken spring.  Or it may just need some oil on the pivot points.  Download a free manual, and get to know the oil points.  

The machine will run with an M style prewound bobbin, but I wouldn't recommend it.  You are correct the proper bobbin for this machine is an ultra big U style.  I've sewed three leather rocking chair seats before changing bobbins.  It's a great feature to have such a large bobbin.

Looks clean as a whistle underneath.  Remove the bobbin case and check for loose thread.  You'll need a tiny flat screwdriver to loosen three screws on the retainer gib that holds it in place.

Two key oil points that often get overlooked... Around the bobbin case and at the base of the take up lever.  Some Juki LU-563 models came with an oil hole on the upper shaft bearing, and some came with sealed bearings there.  Look for an oil hole between the top cover and the handwheel.

Keep us posted on your progress!

Juki LU 562-563 is with minor differences (to my opinion improvements, such as e.g better lubrication arrangement etc) almost identical to Seiko STW8B, Consew 225/226 and Singer 111W152 (most propably the parent model) with plenty available documentation on the net (instruction manuals, parts lists and diagrams etc).

I have completely overhauled a Consew 226 down to its naked cast body and found the relevant info available in this forum and the US army and US Navy maintenance manuals of outmost assistance with the dismantle. Unfortunately I did not record the process in video (I am planning to do it during the reassembly) however I have documented the disassembly with numerous photos and diagrams. Feel free to ask should you need any assistance.

Depending on the amount of accumulated gunk from lint and old dried oil a quick soak in kerosene followed by a light kerosene washing with a typical compressed air car washing gun will do the trick.  Bear in mind though that long soak in kerosene supplemented by heavy pressure washing will most probably wash out the grease from the ball bearings and you will need to re-grease them (they are sealed type b.t.w) or even better replace them with new ones, if your are willing to go down the route of a more thorough overhaul.

Arm shaft ball bearing.jpg

washing 2.JPG

arm shaft bearing.jpg

Cleaning tools.jpg

washing 1.jpg

38 minutes ago, EMI said:

typical compressed air car washing gun will do the trick

my preferred way of cleaning - very efficient!  :spoton:

For heavily gummed/varnished moving parts soda blasting with a cheap portable sandblasting gun followed by a water pressure washing (for soda powder debris dillution/removal), compressed air drying and final wash with kerosene delivers the best results with spotless shiny parts.

nice!!!!!

glenn