Sign in to follow this  
MarieH

Starting leatherwork-equestrian

Hi everyone, the first thing I need to say is, no I do not have any leather work experience so far, but I make other things hinges and am skilled with my hands. As an equestrian, I want a small easy first project to try once I have practiced some skills etc. so my questions-what would a small easy equestrian related item be that I could do as a first project, and what tools do I need to get started? 

Thanks in advance!

Harper

I guess that depends a bit on a few things. For example, do you want to tool the leather (put shapes/stamps/figures on it)? If you don't, then you can use leathers other than tooling veg-tan, such as pre-dyed leathers (such as chrome tan leathers, oil tan, latigo, bridle leather, bison, deerskin, chap leather, upholstry, etc.). Tooling veg-tan lets you tool the leather and also dye it whatever colors you want. As you can imagine, it is more work than just buying ready-to-cut leather. If you want to keep things simple, I think going with pre-dyed leather isn't a bad idea. But, if you want more practice dyeing and/or tooling, then go with the veg tan.

I think a basic project might be a journal cover, valet tray, key fob, a wrap for a tool handle or mug, coasters (you can buy pre-cut veg-tan "rounders" so you don't have to cut a circle yourself), or a drawstring pouch. If you are not buying a kit that comes with pre-punched parts, then you will need tools to punch holes (or, use an awl or chisels) for thread/lace. You can even lace up coasters, if you wanted to make them fancy. I started out with kits (and I still have a bunch I have yet to use), and also took classes at my local Tandy shop (but they are not having classes anymore because of the pandemic - so, youtube would be a substitute). I learned about different stitches for threading (running, rope, and saddle stitches), how to set rivets and snaps, and how to use some tools, like an edge beveler and wing divider.

The thing about leather crafting is that it is so easy to add on layers of complexity (and more tools!)! So, even a "simple" or basic project can be made to be very fancy and complex. I find that, for me, I could easily bite off more than I can chew (i.e. want to do a project that requires more skills, techniques, and tools than I currently have).

First of all can you double stitch/saddle stitch?  if not you will need to learn this because certain pieces of tack for safety sake, a lot of tack needs to be double stitched. If you have a saddler or leather worker nearby see if they can help you with this yes youtube has some very good videos to learn from but on the other hand there are many that are not so good to say the least. If you want i will post some links to the ones that are good in my opinion. As a lot of saddlery work is heavy strap work a good place to start is to make a dog lead or two and then make a belt but stitch all the way round the belt to help you improve your stitching and your speed in doing this maybe again do a couple use bridle leather or harness leather it will get you use to stitching heavier leather doubled or tripled layers and yes not easy at first.When i finished my first piece of training they sold me all the tools i would need to make a bridle still have all 26 years later so i will recommend the same to you.

1. Single head knife or round knife big learning curve but worth it. Its the right tool for the job.

2. Edge shaves numbers 1 and 2 you can add more later i have, but to honest 1 and 2 are what i use most of the time.

3. Pricking irons (not stitching chisels these are not safe to use on saddlery to make or repair in my opinion)  5 spi up to 10 spi,  8/9 and 10 spi in sizes one '' and one and half ''

4.Single and double edge creasers.

Added myself

5. A good ruler and set square also a good and true long length straight edge.

6. Wing dividers. Clicker awl.

7. John James blunt harness needles i use mainly use 003/004 and thread i use linen thread its traditional various sizes.

8. Almost forgot a couple of good saddlers awls and no they don't have to be ridiculously expensive because they have a fancy handle/haft. I have not paid more than £10 for one had them 25 years. Just got another two still under £10.

To add later.

You will need a good strap. cutter which i added later in the form of the wooden one cheap still use it now, also have a plough gauge can be expensive but again right tool for saddlery in the uk.

9. A pull through splitter can be expensive but great time saver.

10. Skirt shave/French edger careful big learning curve. 

If i have forgotten some i will let you know.

If you can get some lessons from someone it will be a big plus you can't beat hands on tution.

Also learn how to sharpen and maintain your tools very important.

Hope this helps

JCUK

Edited by jcuk

5 hours ago, Alaisiagae said:

I guess that depends a bit on a few things. For example, do you want to tool the leather (put shapes/stamps/figures on it)? If you don't, then you can use leathers other than tooling veg-tan, such as pre-dyed leathers (such as chrome tan leathers, oil tan, latigo, bridle leather, bison, deerskin, chap leather, upholstry, etc.). Tooling veg-tan lets you tool the leather and also dye it whatever colors you want. As you can imagine, it is more work than just buying ready-to-cut leather. If you want to keep things simple, I think going with pre-dyed leather isn't a bad idea. But, if you want more practice dyeing and/or tooling, then go with the veg tan.

I think a basic project might be a journal cover, valet tray, key fob, a wrap for a tool handle or mug, coasters (you can buy pre-cut veg-tan "rounders" so you don't have to cut a circle yourself), or a drawstring pouch. If you are not buying a kit that comes with pre-punched parts, then you will need tools to punch holes (or, use an awl or chisels) for thread/lace. You can even lace up coasters, if you wanted to make them fancy. I started out with kits (and I still have a bunch I have yet to use), and also took classes at my local Tandy shop (but they are not having classes anymore because of the pandemic - so, youtube would be a substitute). I learned about different stitches for threading (running, rope, and saddle stitches), how to set rivets and snaps, and how to use some tools, like an edge beveler and wing divider.

The thing about leather crafting is that it is so easy to add on layers of complexity (and more tools!)! So, even a "simple" or basic project can be made to be very fancy and complex. I find that, for me, I could easily bite off more than I can chew (i.e. want to do a project that requires more skills, techniques, and tools than I currently have).

Thanks for your reply! It’s not likely I will tool it, at least for my first time, since I want to keep complexity and tools needed down. I’ve watched plenty of videos and I have a pretty good idea of how to try some skills. So I think I’ll need something to cut with, edging tools, and stitching tools plus thread, am I correct? (This is in the case that I don’t tool). But if I do decide to tool it, I will also need stamping tools (definitely not carving for me:thumbsup:) and I will need veg tan tooling leather? Is this all right? And I will do some smaller items like coasters first to practice before I take a plunge. Thanks for your help!

4 hours ago, jcuk said:

First of all can you double stitch/saddle stitch?  if not you will need to learn this because certain pieces of tack for safety sake, a lot of tack needs to be double stitched. If you have a saddler or leather worker nearby see if they can help you with this yes youtube has some very good videos to learn from but on the other hand there are many that are not so good to say the least. If you want i will post some links to the ones that are good in my opinion. As a lot of saddlery work is heavy strap work a good place to start is to make a dog lead or two and then make a belt but stitch all the way round the belt to help you improve your stitching and your speed in doing this maybe again do a couple use bridle leather or harness leather it will get you use to stitching heavier leather doubled or tripled layers and yes not easy at first.When i finished my first piece of training they sold me all the tools i would need to make a bridle still have all 26 years later so i will recommend the same to you.

1. Single head knife or round knife big learning curve but worth it. Its the right tool for the job.

2. Edge shaves numbers 1 and 2 you can add more later i have, but to honest 1 and 2 are what i use most of the time.

3. Pricking irons (not stitching chisels these are not safe to use on saddlery to make or repair in my opinion)  5 spi up to 10 spi,  8/9 and 10 spi in sizes one '' and one and half ''

4.Single and double edge creasers.

Added myself

5. A good ruler and set square also a good and true long length straight edge.

6. Wing dividers. Clicker awl.

7. John James blunt harness needles i use mainly use 003/004 and thread i use linen thread its traditional various sizes.

8. Almost forgot a couple of good saddlers awls and no they don't have to be ridiculously expensive because they have a fancy handle/haft. I have not paid more than £10 for one had them 25 years. Just got another two still under £10.

To add later.

You will need a good strap. cutter which i added later in the form of the wooden one cheap still use it now, also have a plough gauge can be expensive but again right tool for saddlery in the uk.

9. A pull through splitter can be expensive but great time saver.

10. Skirt shave/French edger careful big learning curve. 

If i have forgotten some i will let you know.

If you can get some lessons from someone it will be a big plus you can't beat hands on tution.

Also learn how to sharpen and maintain your tools very important.

Hope this helps

JCUK

Hi JCUK, thank you so much for your reply! Firstly, I have yet to try double stitching, but I have seen videos of how it’s done, and understand how it works, plus I have experience with regular sewing so hopeful that helps. I don’t think I have anywhere I can go to for lessons or to get help from a saddler etc, so yes please it would be helpful if you could link the YouTube channels you think are good! I was thinking maybe a dog collar might be good to make as well, so that’s just a thought. The tools list is helpful, I’m going to look into the tools I’m going to get, now that I have a better idea of what is necessary. 

Thank you so much for your time, everything helps!

harper

50 minutes ago, MarieH said:

Thanks for your reply! It’s not likely I will tool it, at least for my first time, since I want to keep complexity and tools needed down. I’ve watched plenty of videos and I have a pretty good idea of how to try some skills. So I think I’ll need something to cut with, edging tools, and stitching tools plus thread, am I correct? (This is in the case that I don’t tool). But if I do decide to tool it, I will also need stamping tools (definitely not carving for me:thumbsup:) and I will need veg tan tooling leather? Is this all right? And I will do some smaller items like coasters first to practice before I take a plunge. Thanks for your help!

Cutting tools come in a wide variety. I have a utility knife and rotary cutter (45mm), but a round or head knife is a classic leather-working tool! I really want a single head knife but can only find one supplier, in the UK - shipping costs suck! There are specialized cutters, too, like strap cutters and skiving knives.

Edgers can also have some variety. I don't think they are 100% essential on thin leather, but they are nice for taking the sharp right angle off the edge of thicker leathers. And the you can burnish the edges! That would require an edge slicker. These come in wood or even nylon. Some people use gum tragacanth, others use Tokonole or beeswax or similar. You coat the edge and run the slicker over it to create friction that hardens the substance and rounds the edge.

Stitching tools - you'll want needles. They come in a number of sizes, especially the eye hole size. Thread is another rabbit hole to fall down, with different colors and thicknesses. Primarily there's synthetic (nylon and polymer) and linen. Additionally, the thread will come pre-waxed or you will wax it yourself. You'll also want to look into buying an awl (and you can have "fun" sharpening it so it works properly: I have learned from these forums that many new tools need additional/final sharpening by the end-user). For sharpening, sandpaper is cheap and works well (I have grits ranging from 100 to 2500), with a final polish on a leather strop loaded with a green strop compound. You'll want this for your edgers and blades, even if you don't use a swivel knife.

Any tooling and pounding (e.g. hole punches) will need a hard surface, such as granite, and a mallet/maul, which come as polymer heads or rawhide heads. Don't use a metal hammer, because it will damage metal tools. A rubber mallet will bounce, which isn't good for tooling at all. Cutting calls for a good cutting board. I have both a self-healing cutting mat and a plastic cutting board (about 3/8th inch thick). Don't cut or punch on granite directly, it will damage the granite and the tool because the tool cuts/punches through the leather.

Some good YouTube leatherworkers: videos from Nigel Armitage, JHLeather (UK saddlery maker to boot!), and The Leather Element. Tandy Leather also has some videos, most of them show how to use tools. 

Yes, to stamp, you use veg tan leather. First you wet the leather (aka "casing" the leather). One method: You can wet the surface with a sponge. What I've been told is to try to get the leather wet through half its thickness. Other people soak the whole piece overnight. Then wait for it to dry a bit, until the leather returns to its original color but is cool to the touch. Re-wet as needed during toolling. I use stamps frequently, too - I haven't carved very much. I do know that lots of tooling can smoosh the leather enough that the leather can warp its shape: so, people will often affix the rough side of the leather to some cardboard so the leather doesn't warp when it dries.

Edited by Alaisiagae

42 minutes ago, Alaisiagae said:

Cutting tools come in a wide variety. I have a utility knife and rotary cutter (45mm), but a round or head knife is a classic leather-working tool! I really want a single head knife but can only find one supplier, in the UK - shipping costs suck! There are specialized cutters, too, like strap cutters and skiving knives.

Edgers can also have some variety. I don't think they are 100% essential on thin leather, but they are nice for taking the sharp right angle off the edge of thicker leathers. And the you can burnish the edges! That would require an edge slicker. These come in wood or even nylon. Some people use gum tragacanth, others use Tokonole or beeswax or similar. You coat the edge and run the slicker over it to create friction that hardens the substance and rounds the edge.

Stitching tools - you'll want needles. They come in a number of sizes, especially the eye hole size. Thread is another rabbit hole to fall down, with different colors and thicknesses. Primarily there's synthetic (nylon and polymer) and linen. Additionally, the thread will come pre-waxed or you will wax it yourself. You'll also want to look into buying an awl (and you can have "fun" sharpening it so it works properly: I have learned from these forums that many new tools need additional/final sharpening by the end-user). For sharpening, sandpaper is cheap and works well (I have grits ranging from 100 to 2500), with a final polish on a leather strop loaded with a green strop compound. You'll want this for your edgers and blades, even if you don't use a swivel knife.

Any tooling and pounding (e.g. hole punches) will need a hard surface, such as granite, and a mallet/maul, which come as polymer heads or rawhide heads. Don't use a metal hammer, because it will damage metal tools. A rubber mallet will bounce, which isn't good for tooling at all. Cutting calls for a good cutting board. I have both a self-healing cutting mat and a plastic cutting board (about 3/8th inch thick). Don't cut or punch on granite directly, it will damage the granite and the tool because the tool cuts/punches through the leather.

Some good YouTube leatherworkers: videos from Nigel Armitage, JHLeather (UK saddlery maker to boot!), and The Leather Element. Tandy Leather also has some videos, most of them show how to use tools. 

Yes, to stamp, you use veg tan leather. First you wet the leather (aka "casing" the leather). One method: You can wet the surface with a sponge. What I've been told is to try to get the leather wet through half its thickness. Other people soak the whole piece overnight. Then wait for it to dry a bit, until the leather returns to its original color but is cool to the touch. Re-wet as needed during toolling. I use stamps frequently, too - I haven't carved very much. I do know that lots of tooling can smoosh the leather enough that the leather can warp its shape: so, people will often affix the rough side of the leather to some cardboard so the leather doesn't warp when it dries.

Thank you so much for all your help! I think, I’m going to do two small projects first, and tool/stamp one project but not the other, than I can decide if I will be able to tool my bigger project or if I need to practice those skills more. Thanks again, everyone has been very helpful!

Harper

In no particular order at all.

https://www.youtube.com/c/JHLeather/videos

Look at her strap work. And how she uses the single head knife very good work, her sharpening methods may be easier for you too.

https://www.youtube.com/c/UKSaddlerytrainingcoursesuk/videos

No B/S here no pre planning just does it, its good to see that at times again watch how he uses a round knife and sharpen it, plus other tools too. Can say have seen him work excellent stuff. 

https://www.youtube.com/c/NigelArmitage/videos

Some very good stuff here well explained too i think he has vimeo channel you can subscribe to, think some do here they can guide better on that.

https://www.youtube.com/c/IanAtkinsonLeather/videos

Some good stuff here too. Although not heavy strap work.

https://www.youtube.com/c/LeathercraftMasterclass/videos

Again some good things here too.

All i believe have double stitching/saddle stitching tutorials if i can remember, its up to you which you prefer all very good though. And no i have not watched them all just the ones that interest me you are never to old to learn new things and techniques.

Sorry they are from this side of the pond but the methods are pretty much the same, i sure their are some on here here that can help you leather carving and stamping i do not have any experience of that.

https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/27963-how-i-make-a-bridle/

Pretty much the same way i work only just seen this very good, yes about 8 hours for me too with a clear run at it frustrating when people see a bridle on certain web sites for £30/£40 you do the maths not even counting the materials not even the minimum wage here expecting you to charge the same, i can tell some repairs i have done on some said bridles replacing parts almost cost them them the same as there total price for there new cheaply (mmm hand stitched english bridle leather bridle).

As for tools look closer to home assuming you are in the US

https://www.csosborne.com

https://weaverleathersupply.com

https://brucejohnsonleather.com

Others on here have brought from him and i would too if he was this side of the pond tools ready to go. Will say i am a big fan of older tools made to stand the test of time.   

sure there are more others may steer you right.

Hope this helps

JCUK 

Edited by jcuk

5 hours ago, jcuk said:

In no particular order at all.

https://www.youtube.com/c/JHLeather/videos

Look at her strap work. And how she uses the single head knife very good work, her sharpening methods may be easier for you too.

https://www.youtube.com/c/UKSaddlerytrainingcoursesuk/videos

No B/S here no pre planning just does it, its good to see that at times again watch how he uses a round knife and sharpen it, plus other tools too. Can say have seen him work excellent stuff. 

https://www.youtube.com/c/NigelArmitage/videos

Some very good stuff here well explained too i think he has vimeo channel you can subscribe to, think some do here they can guide better on that.

https://www.youtube.com/c/IanAtkinsonLeather/videos

Some good stuff here too. Although not heavy strap work.

https://www.youtube.com/c/LeathercraftMasterclass/videos

Again some good things here too.

All i believe have double stitching/saddle stitching tutorials if i can remember, its up to you which you prefer all very good though. And no i have not watched them all just the ones that interest me you are never to old to learn new things and techniques.

Sorry they are from this side of the pond but the methods are pretty much the same, i sure their are some on here here that can help you leather carving and stamping i do not have any experience of that.

https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/27963-how-i-make-a-bridle/

Pretty much the same way i work only just seen this very good, yes about 8 hours for me too with a clear run at it frustrating when people see a bridle on certain web sites for £30/£40 you do the maths not even counting the materials not even the minimum wage here expecting you to charge the same, i can tell some repairs i have done on some said bridles replacing parts almost cost them them the same as there total price for there new cheaply (mmm hand stitched english bridle leather bridle).

As for tools look closer to home assuming you are in the US

https://www.csosborne.com

https://weaverleathersupply.com

https://brucejohnsonleather.com

Others on here have brought from him and i would too if he was this side of the pond tools ready to go. Will say i am a big fan of older tools made to stand the test of time.   

sure there are more others may steer you right.

Hope this helps

JCUK 

Thank you so much, it’s an incredible help. I’ll be sure to check out the youtubers suggested! I’m actually in Australia, which really is a downfall as places I can buy tools are much more limited:(

Also I have seen a few of JHLeather videos, and I agree she is quite good, so I’ll proba watch some more of those as well. I don’t plan on any carving/tooling at the moment anyway. I just came here for information on tools and general skills, which is what I got plenty of! Thanks again for all the help!

Harper

Hi MarieH,

Help is at hand for you in Australia pending Covid restrictions.  Check out Dimensions in Leather from Brisbane, Birdsalls in Sydney, Makers Leather in Tasmania or perhaps some of my contacts here in Victoria are just some starting suggestions.

All the best

Jim

11 hours ago, jasj said:

Hi MarieH,

Help is at hand for you in Australia pending Covid restrictions.  Check out Dimensions in Leather from Brisbane, Birdsalls in Sydney, Makers Leather in Tasmania or perhaps some of my contacts here in Victoria are just some starting suggestions.

All the best

Jim

Great thank you! I will be sure to check out those places!

Harper