zelix

Saddle Horn bag

So I'm new to leather for the most part. I have a year or so under my belt. My boss asked me to make him a saddle horn bag and holster. I whipped this up. If I had it to do over I'd make the area where it attaches to the saddle horn different. xhrwTWb.jpg

9oUFSep.jpg

4l16tKU.jpg

I got concerned about the pocket and was going to put a snapped lid on it. Then I thought I should have put something to hold bullets.

xhrwTWb.jpg

So I changed up and made it where it would hold bullets on the holster side. The holster also comes off and can be worn on a belt.

ocMeYaJ.jpg

My work isn't as clean, nice and neat like y'alls here. I'm working to improve. I do know it's strong and should hold up to plenty of abuse.

Edited by zelix

It may not be as pretty as you want it to be but it still looks really nice and like you said, should hold up to all sorts of abuse. Your design is pretty cool too.

Nice work on the 2 items.  This is delayed feedback but probably timely- I would recommend you get with the rider and ask for his/her inputs as to the performance and design so you can improve on future builds.

Some thoughts as a rider that has used nylon horn bags:

There is not alot of room up front where the bags will hang.  Yours are about 9 inches wide so evaluate that width vs. rider preference while riding out.  Also check the length and see where they ended up hanging and adjust as necessary.

Take a look at the horn mount hole and see if it is sized correctly.  Obviously the bags need to pass over the horn so it must be wide enough for that.  They also need to stay on the horn in a canter and too wide of a hole and depending on weight of the bag/holster and they could pop off unexpectedly.    Nylon bags have more of an overlapping slot that allows the bags to go over the horn but also creates an overlapping strap to retain the bags under the horn cap.

Gun holster- definitely recommend adding a strap that goes over the pistol frame by the hammer to hold that thing in the holster while riding.  There is no reason for speed in a draw situation  that cant be met with a simple strap. Takes a long time to find something you dropped on the trail or worse in the rough.

Hope that helps.

Edited by desullivan