aru

designing leather jacket, comfortable sleeves

Ive never made a jacket, and im planning on making a really nice, thick leather jacket. Im curious about what makes a comfortable shoulder area/armpit/sleeve?

anyone have any tips for jackets, almost zero videos on making leather jackets.

pic is something similar to what i want, I plan on using a rabbit plate to line it. if anyone has tips on adding a liner, or working with fur plates, please share.

My goal for the jacket is to be very warm, very durable, somewhat comfortable. Weight isnt important to me. Anyone have any unique closure designs that are good for windproofing, etc, I just want ideas to work with. no patterns 

the jacket in the pic seems to be "rough out" is this a durable or waterproof design? any pros to this?

0b8cf1105377a81fa3a3fa37e9d245dc.jpg

Edited by aru

I was thinking of making a jacket sometime in the future, my plan is to tear apart an old donor jacket that fits me nice and use the pieces as templates.  Do you have something like that you could use?

I do, however the materials will be very different, and I dont really want to cut up my jacket. I was more just looking for tips on designing the armpit/shoulder.

I guess what i meant is, I would rather learn than to just copy paste mindlessly. 

I've had a plan to do one if these for awhile. I found that looking at a few LARP costume building websites was useful. They were a few out there making costumes 

A great way to do this kind of thing is to buy a jacket at goodwill for $10 and take it apart to see how it goes together. That doesn't mean you need to trace the pieces to copy it, but  what you want to learn is how jackets are constructed and this would be a good way to do it. You might also find more good info in some of the fabric sewing forums. More people make their own fabric clothing than leather. You can see, from how rarely it's discussed here, how unfortunately uncommon it is for people to make their own leather jackets.

I would love to learn to make my own leather jackets too one day. I'm going to start with vests, then figure out sleeves. 

Tandy has some free patterns for leather coats and jackets. The link below is for the men's coat but they have a few others for ladies coats. THere's probably some helpful information in there. 

https://www.leathercraftlibrary.com/product/1214/2665-mens-top-coat-pattern-size-38