ABC3

Taper belt makers - Question

What is the length  on the tip and the buckle end before you start the taper? And do these measurements depend on the size of the belt or are they pretty much standard ?

Al's out of pocket and we need to make one.

Thanks for your help.

David

I have a plastic taper template set from I think Black River.  There are 2 different tapers depending on the width of the belt but the length of the tip and buckle end stay the same for the template, I have not compared the templates to see if the one for wider belts has a longer tip length.  I can when I get home tonight if you would like.

Todd

1 hour ago, ABC3 said:

What is the length  on the tip and the buckle end before you start the taper? And do these measurements depend on the size of the belt or are they pretty much standard ?

On the buckle end I just taper long enough to take the smaller buckle and a fold over to main wider part, so thats about 2.5 to 3 inches. On the billet end I narrow about 6 inches or maybe 8 inches max and I have a steep curve up to the wider section

HIDEBRAND, THANKS  BUT I THINK FREDK JUST ANSWERED MY QUESTION.  I'LL CHECK WITH BLACK RIVER AND SEE IF THEY HAVE A WEBSITE.

FREDK, ARE THISE MEASUREMENTS STANDARD OR DO THEY CHANGE DEPENDING ON THE LENGTH OF THE BELT.

THANK SO MUCH GUYS.  STAY SAFE.

1 hour ago, ABC3 said:

FREDK, ARE THISE MEASUREMENTS STANDARD OR DO THEY CHANGE DEPENDING ON THE LENGTH OF THE BELT.

I'd say they are pretty much the same on all my belts. I do sometimes make the billet end a couple of inches longer for fat guys. Their weight, thus their waist size, can vary a bit more than thin guys, so an extra few inches to let that belt out a bit more

also. I mainly use buckles which have a keeper made into them, so on the buckle end I don't need to fuss about a  strap keeper

eg, this sort of buckle

http://www.leprevo.co.uk/photos/14724-40.htm

3 hours ago, fredk said:

for fat guys

As a fat American, my first reaction is, what a dumb sh*t.  .

Edited by mike02130
added info

There are a number of approaches to the tip.

1. Blunt cross-cut, rounded corners. Often used with plate buckles, because there's no real threading involved.

2. Angle tip. Mark the centre, slope back at about 40 degrees, round where it joins the side of the belt.

3. English tip. Parabeloid curved. Ivan do cheap stamps.