thawk8541

Laptop bag for a friend’s wife,

I’m finishing up a laptop bag for a friend’s wife. When I put tancoat on, it started pulling some of the dye out. Does anyone have a recommendation to even out the color?

You can see where it’s started to pull off the dye,   I’m not sure how to fix it or if it’s possible to.

5454113E-F530-4426-B5F4-272F44A3AC6E.jpeg

344B6FC0-5C2B-4802-8066-CD9E3A87B4EA.jpeg

What kind of dye did you use?   Looks kind of like it was applied full strength on top of antique.  If you give some details on application, we might be able to give some better directions. Did you put any conditioner on underneath the tan kote? Try buffing a small 1/2" spot in an unseen part (bottom?) with a wet/damp towel to see if color evens out.  Let us know what you get.

YinTx

Edited by YinTx

It was drum dyed, I didn't dye it.  Maybe I put the tancoat on too thick?  I put pro dye in the tooled initials, didn't have any issues with that.  I didn't use any conditioner under the tancoat.  I was able to buff it out and even it out,  it just seemed unusual that I'd lose any color at all.

Yeah, I've never had a result after applyine tan kote to a drum dyed leather that resembled yours.  It will lift some color off of pigment dyed leathers, since most of those have some pigment on the surface that hasn't penetrated.  A damp cloth will do that as well.  But not so blotchy.  It does appear you applied it a bit heavy to me, I usually apply it mixed 50/50 with water and in two coats if needed.  And not so heavy even then.  I'd would have been tempted to go over the whole thing with a very damp soft towel to even everything out.  Tan Kote is not a water seal, so it should get evened out.  Post a pic of your current progress if you would, I am curious how your buffing resulted.

YinTx