Sign in to follow this  
pepin1948

Leather inlay folio kit

Looks fine to me but hey i'm a freak yo. Funny though i went to Tandy's Sat, hadn't been in a few monthes. One of the things that caught my eye was that folio. When i picked it up and was feeling the tooled part it snaped and moved. I thought, oh crap i broke it. LOL

Don't know about anywhere else but here they are clearancing there whole line of Al Stohlman tools. I picked up the last A.S. swivel knive for $32. Happy B-day to meeee.

Holly, Beautiful Celtic work. I can't believe that it has been 10 years since you've done one. It doesn't show any rust on your tooling. No, i did not notice that it wasn't exactly on center - the knots that is. Only after you mentioned it did I notice it. Gosh, I wish I could have made it to Butler. Would have loved to see you. Carl PS Johanna, How do I start a new paragraph with these replies. I hit my tab key and it goes off the message. I am afraid to hit the enter key because on my other Forum (TrailerLife) I believe that this sends the reply out. O Well, I'll try it now.

Nope, I found out how. The enter key gives me a new paragraph. Got another question though. Is there a spell check?

folio_knot_closeup.jpg

I should've clarified it's been 'bout 10 years since I did this particular knot. Here is the last time I did it, on the folio kit Tandy had previously. This one was only backgrounded, the new one is only bevelled. The new one is much smaller too.

You might want to put your spell check question to Johanna directly in case she doesn't see it here.

Missed you in Butler too! But was glad to catch up with so many folks I'd been missing. I'm glad I gave in and went.

post-3-1163509313_thumb.jpg

I saw one of those folios in my local tandy store a few months back. The manager made some design on the circle of leather and put it on display. I thought it was a very nice looking project.

I went back to the store thursday (11/30), and I noticed the circle was pulling away from the folio. I dont know how he put it on and dont have an abundance of faith in his skills, but it turned me off to the folio. I hope yours turns out better.

What I had been told by another manager is that the tooled items that show off the latest kits in Tandy stores as finished displays have actually been tooled in China. When I commented on the tooling on one of the items (the tooled travel cup), I was told that is where it was done. The tooling on the various items does vary in quality, if you do take the time to compare.

While I think the rotating calculator is pretty ingenious, I am turned off by the rest of the folio. I think the leather looks too 'plastic-y' ... To me, it looks like a nice quality vinyl folio, rather than a distinctive leather folio, with all the distinctive quirks in the leather we'd expect.

Likewise, the finished black belts are exactly that= finished. You can't tool them, anymore than you can tool TLC's motorcycle accessories & bags. All you can do is assemble them, or punch holes & put conchos or bling-bling on.

While the quality is nice, I don't think it is a particularly good trend for Tandy to follow. I attended one of those 'thunder in the mountains' (or valley, or plains, or whatever) motorcycle get-together functions and saw basically the same general stuff- non tooled, black & with conchos or bling-bling added, for a lot less $$$ than TLC is selling the kits for. Granted, the quality probably isn't there, but if it looks the same & is a lot less $, guess what the biker's going to spend his money on?

I sold the folio at a bazaar this weekend to a member of our church - she bought it for her college bound son. I'm sure if the glue fails, she'll let me know. At least it went to someone I know in such a case...