PALeatherArt

CB3200 Leaving marks on the leather

Dear everyone,

I'm about to buy a CB3200 from SIECK in Europe and before doing so I sent them samples of leather and thread and they did the sewing to show me how it does.
I just received the samples back, but every stitched lines shows a lot of very visible marks.
IMG_20201017_120641.jpg.1e57bbb45219d15e3218c7d2b4c068a4.jpgIMG_20201017_120636.jpg.9c78875dc72f9a524b54eb7d987e4b24.jpgIMG_20201017_120621.jpg.39c4efc4473a3d2f9ee369e1cf999d64.jpg

- What do you think about it?
- Is it normal?
- Is it not?
- Can it be fixed?
- Should I go for another machine?

Thank you very much for any advice you could provide.
Cheers,
P.A

Hi, I think this has been talked about before somewhere?? try looking for CB3200 in the search box. i think the solution was rubbing out the marks like in the old days.

Have you tried loosening the foot pressure? And yes some leathers are softer than others & you may need to rub out the marks.

There is a big adjuster cap screw on top that controls the foot pressure. It can be backed out until the marks are minimized.

The marks are normal. There are things you can do to minimize them. Lots of factors determine how visible the marks will be - foot print area of the presser feet, foot spring pressure, leather type and age, etc.  The marks on your sample aren’t really that bad. Expecting zero marks when machine sewing veg tan leather is not realistic.

As mentioned earlier, there are DOZENS of topics in this forum talking about machines leaving marks on leather and what, if anything, one can do about it.

It’s not about that particular machine design, any other heavy duty stitcher will leave similar marks.

Thank you everyone for your answers. The manufacturer told me the same thing about the screw.
I wanted to be reassured before buying.
I will work on the adjustment of that screw when I get the machine.

About the many posts, I only searched "CB3200" and "Rub out sewing marks" in the forum and only looked at the first page of results. I'll keep digging.

Thank you for your answers, it was much appreciated! 

G'Day @PALeatherArt, yes , unfortunately you will  get marks, not matter how  well your  machine is adjusted.  Uwe  summed it up very well. Every piece of leather is different. 

I'm always making  sheaths,  various  leather cases, for  knives, tools , ' ' Leathermans' etc.  So what I have learn't to do is use a huge 5mm ' D' ring, ' O' ring or a ' Square' ring to rub out the marks . ( the corners help)  It does work, but just takes a bit of ' elbow grease' . 

On 10/17/2020 at 9:45 PM, Wizcrafts said:

There is a big adjuster cap screw on top that controls the foot pressure.

I'm petrified about adjusting that any further , in case it gets some air time   and makes a hole in  my workshop roof ,  I may never be able to get it back in again. :rofl:

Everything on ' Brutus'  ( my  441 clone) is adjusted just fine :)  I don't dare touch it. 

HS 

Also moistue content makes a big difference.  A few weeks ago I was working on a holster and I had gotten it wet to do something then before it dried out I started sewing, boy were the mark deep on that one. Instant dog chew toy.

Todd

be careful on backing out the foot pressure to much. you need sufficient down force to hold the work down and the needle is pulled back up and out of the leather. 

You need a shoe makers hammer and a rub stick. gently hammer & rub the stitching and most marks go away. 

@Handstitched, @Hildebrand, @Kcstott Thank you very much guys for your concerns and tips on how to rub the marks off! And also on being extra carefull while adjusting the screw.
I'll be carefull with the moisture ;) and if I find any other way to avoid or get less marking on the leather I will let you know! For now I don't have the machine yet.