ABC3

Rotary punch for leather work

Can anyone direct me to a company that offers a Rotary punch for leather.  We purchased Weavers Rotary punch back in July. Something I've never liked to do is to bad mouth a product. But this is ridiculous. We spent $1800 on this punch. I like it, and we need it but all we are doing is throwing leather away because the punch is not consistent.  You set it on 3/4 inch and 3 or 4  holes out of 7 will be correct.  The others  will be all over the board. I've talked to Jim Weaver (a very nice man) and we returned it so he could have a look at it. It came back with a note saying everything was working properly.

Anyway enough is enough and I'll be asking for a refund. And i'll try to find a punch that is reliable.

And suggestions would be welcome.

I know Campbell makes one. It will cost you more than Weavers. And for the record I've owned the Weaver punch for about 6-7 years. Punch with it every day. Never had the issue you describe.

Mark842:

Could I be doing something wrong.  I like the punch but I do need reliability.

8 minutes ago, ABC3 said:

Could I be doing something wrong.  I like the punch but I do need reliability.

I have no experience with this punch, but is there a locking mechanism that you are missing when you set the spacing.  In my minds eye, there has to be something to lock the spacing to keep it from changing while being used.

Tom

red arrow points to the spacing adjustment

remove the screw, 

apply lock tite on the threads

place the screw back in the hole

align the cutter on the brass base at a 90 degree angle

tighten the screw,

++++++to remove screw with lock tite applied

plug in your soldering iron

hold iron on screw head to heat lock tite

after screw is heated , turn it counterclockwise to remove

20201019_033214.jpg.93a768b6c440bfb6606d2808d624d1f4.jpg

Frodo, he's talking about the machine for belts ($1,800)

Not the handheld tool 

I'll call Jim Weaver again and see if there is a locking screw.

Thanks all for your help.

lol   yeah i guess 1800 was a tad bit high .  i thought he meant 18.00

For general information here is their video. 

If the hole spacing is changing, either the adjustment screw is not tight enough, or there is another loose part in the advance mechanism flopping around.  If the adjustment is slipping, you should be able to see it move while you are using it.  Don't turn backwards at any point during operation.  Always crank clockwise.

Make sure your strap width adjustment is not binding against the strap, though I doubt that could change the feed distance as the punch tube is pulling the strap through.  Worthwhile checking though.

Another thought could be the tube is being lifted out of the strap while it is still advancing.

Hope this is of some help to you.

Tom

10 hours ago, Frodo said:

lol   yeah i guess 1800 was a tad bit high .  i thought he meant 18.00

Same LOL

lol, yeah, 1800 for a hand punch, it would have to be gold plated and come with a girl to use it, but I did enjoy spyros instructions, he was on a roll. was getting into it myself. lol, good luck ya'll.

No it's not doing what it's advertised to do.  Jim Weaver made a couple of suggestions but everything seems to be tight. It will  perform great and all of a sudden it will punch the first hole (of seven in a belt strap)  at 1" and then punch a couple of holes at 7/8": while the setting is 3/4.

It's not off by much but just enough to screw up the project. I'm going to give it another week  and if we cannot find a fix - I'll just return it.  I hate to do that , I like the machine and we really can use it but it has to be reliable. 

I would like to talk to someone who has the machine to make certain I'm not doing something wrong. Maybe, Jim can  turn me on to someone.

Anyway guys thanks for all the help.

Mark842:

@Mark842

If you see this post , could you give me a call (678/520-2695). JIm Weaver gave me 3 contacts to day to call to verify the reliability  of the punch.  I got  2 out of the 3 and both said they have had problems with the machine. I don't want to send it back but since you have not had any problems with  the reliability of the machine I thought  you might give me some pointers, adjustments, ect.  Jim was totally surprised at the report I gave him . And we are both working together to fix the problems. Any help you could give us would be appreciated.l

Thanks so much.

Al

I have tried a couple of different rotary punches and haven't been happy with them. A couple of years ago I found some old stock (New and not used) in a store here in Sweden from a company called Stahl in Germany. And have used this punch a lot and it's awesome. If you can find them online somewhere I would really recommend them.