Retswerb

Reishi mycelium ‘leather’

Ran across madewithreishi.com tonight, just curious if anyone here has seen the stuff in person. I’m extremely skeptical that it’s actually as similar to leather as they claim but would love to get my hands on some to see what it’s like.

Edited by Retswerb
Link formatting

Mycelium is the fibrous part of certain fungi. It sounds like this stuff makes a sort of suede felt in composition

I haven't tried it, and I am opposed to it on principle because it's marketed to gullible, emotional people by lying about saving cows. Nobody "needs" leather, it's a luxury and it's okay for it to be an expensive finite resource.

On 10/18/2020 at 10:40 PM, fredk said:

Mycelium is the fibrous part of certain fungi. It sounds like this stuff makes a sort of suede felt in composition

I would think so too but the photos and videos on the site look more or less like a smooth finish.

On 10/18/2020 at 11:00 PM, McCarthy said:

I haven't tried it, and I am opposed to it on principle because it's marketed to gullible, emotional people by lying about saving cows. Nobody "needs" leather, it's a luxury and it's okay for it to be an expensive finite resource.

I’ve seen that sort of marketing too, of course, but this site stood out to me as not being that way much. I see no need to oppose healthy leather alternatives if they’re a decent product. The existence of alternatives doesn’t replace the value of leather.

Of course I have no idea if this is a decent product or not, and like I said, I’m skeptical. Still curious though.

Usually the amount of chemicals and processing that goes into creating artificial leather means it is not the environmentally friendly product it's advertised to be. 

Just sayin'....not that I think anyone on this board is going to dump real leather for something made of fungi!