JeannieH

How to do stitch on side of ring holder for strength

I’m not sure what terms to use to explain but how do I stitch a single hole to reinforce sides of my ring holder? Do I use one needle or two? I’ve tried both but I’m still able to unravel thread so I’m not stitching it so that thread is knotting or locking right.

556EBA9D-FD99-47C1-83A7-373DC6237E47.jpeg

Don't use saddle-stitch, if that's what you mean by two needles, rather, over-stitch going round three or four times, then back-stitch at least 3 stitches.  A judicious dab of glue in the hole to consolidate the stitching and knots probably won't hurt, either.

What kind of thread are you using. I go back three and a half stitches.

JCUK 

The piece is already saddle stitched onto the bag. I’m just trying to close up the opening some so that you can’t see the reinforcement I have in the middle. So there is only one hole..I wouldn’t be able to back stitch it. I will attach better pics of what I’m trying to do.

so I didn’t go all the way up with the saddle stitch to the area I’m Ryun to close up. The first pic shows what I’m trying to do..but with just the stitch on the ring holder and not going through the holder and the bag...

I use vinymo #5 MBT thread for stitching

99C1CC68-1A81-4C07-A0F7-FA5F17D96523.jpeg

CC1822EE-F8B5-42F8-85E1-5A96E2A569F2.jpeg

Is it lined 

2 hours ago, jcuk said:

Is it lined 

Yes but I haven’t sewed the lining in yet. See..I have to have enough clearance from the outer foot when I sew the top of the bag for the lining..so if I stitch the holder onto the outside of the bag..I won’t be able to move the holder out the way of the outer foot when I come around to that part.

Start in the middle, between the two layers, leave a tag end about two inches, go through one layer to come out one side, two or three rounds through both layers, end up coming out in the middle between the layers, then continue over to the opposite side, come out one side or the other, go around two or three times through both layers, and end up coming out in the middle between both layers. Take the end of your thread and make a reef knot with the tag you left when you started. The knot will be hidden between the two layers and as long as you tie a good knot will never come undone or be seen. Done with one needle, hope this helps.

14 hours ago, Bigfoote said:

Start in the middle, between the two layers, leave a tag end about two inches, go through one layer to come out one side, two or three rounds through both layers, end up coming out in the middle between the layers, then continue over to the opposite side, come out one side or the other, go around two or three times through both layers, and end up coming out in the middle between both layers. Take the end of your thread and make a reef knot with the tag you left when you started. The knot will be hidden between the two layers and as long as you tie a good knot will never come undone or be seen. Done with one needle, hope this helps.

Ok thank you I will give that a try!