Chris623

I'm confused about the purpose of some of these products

Well,  YinTx, you may not enjoy what you see.  Turns out with all the stretching of the front of the sheath, the back didn't line up quite right and my stitch holes didn't go down the center of the "lane" they were meant to.   Disappointingly,  some are right on the edge of the stamp work. :ranting2:   Newbie errors.  It's good no-one is going to ask me to take the sheath off my belt and show them the back. :o  Oh well, as I keep saying.  This is my first and I'm learning as I go.  They will get better.  But these stacked sheaths are a whole lot more complicated than I realized.  Most of the sheaths I'll be making will be for my own knives and will be of the folded, "Taco" style.  ;)

An awl is slower until you get handy with it but its the only way I know of doing the thick stuff and keeping it neat. I can't wait to see your effort!

Go Chris go!

That's hilarious!  I couldn't even push the awl completely through after drilling a 1/6" hole through the sheath.  I'm doing something wrong, for sure.

I'm beginning to think an "effort" is all I've made. :thumbsdown:  Pretty disappointed in my results at this point.

I still can't wait to see it. All the learnin'! As far as the awl goes, you probably just need to sharpen it, which is a whole other can of worms.

It's not sharp yet, but spent some time on the awl today.  Amazing how much easier it penetrates.  I'll get it sharpened all the way tomorrow.  If I live long enough I might learn a bunch about this journey. :rolleyes2:

12 hours ago, Chris623 said:

It's not sharp yet, but spent some time on the awl today.  Amazing how much easier it penetrates.  I'll get it sharpened all the way tomorrow.  If I live long enough I might learn a bunch about this journey. :rolleyes2:

You will know when your awl is sharp enough when you are able to reasonably easily go through several layers of thick leather and into your finger without you even feeling it!  :lol: 

- Bill

Well, it's a long way from being that sharp.  In fact, I may end up sanding all the blade away before I get it the way I want it. :lol:  Already noticing I'm rounding my central ridge on both sides.  This may end up costing me a new awl !  :ranting2:

1 hour ago, billybopp said:

You will know when your awl is sharp enough when you are able to reasonably easily go through several layers of thick leather and into your finger without you even feeling it!  :lol: 

- Bill

^^^^This

26 minutes ago, Chris623 said:

Well, it's a long way from being that sharp.  In fact, I may end up sanding all the blade away before I get it the way I want it. :lol:  Already noticing I'm rounding my central ridge on both sides.  This may end up costing me a new awl !  :ranting2:

Spend more time on the tip being light saber sharp and use super high grit to polish up the flat parts of the shank to keep from rounding them. Some roundness isn't going to hurt.

Wish one of you with more experience were sitting beside me while I'm stitching this!  :lol:  My first stitching.  What can I say?  Well, it'll hold, for sure! :rolleyes2:

Found a neat little app to judge the length of thread I needed to start with from CanadianLeatherCraft.org.  The app determined 83".   I was concerned about being too short right at the end so I cut it at 90".  All I was able to do with that length of thread was the spine side of the sheath.  :excuseme:  There wasn't any place in the app to enter how thick the sheath is.  They had "leather thickness" in ounces, but that couldn't figure how thick my sheath is at the knife's guard vs how much thinner it is at that tip. 

I couldn't get my stitches to do that fancy diagonal slash.  My holes where punched with a diagonal iron.  I punched the first layer but had to drill through the others with a 1/16" drill bit.  That might have been my problem.  Sure have a list of "What to do and what not to do next time" things to remember!!!  :thumbsup:

I'm not worried about the stitching.  I picked a thread that so closely matches the color of the sheath, it's hard to see even when I hold it in my hand.  No-one looking at it from any distance at all is going to notice any anomaly.

This is fun.  Uphill journey, but I'll git'er eventually.

Okay.  Got this durned thing all stitched up.  When I finished, I noticed some of the stitching is the color of the stitching as it's wound on the roll.  In other places it's dark...........as if it's dirty. (I liked that..........it matched the color of the sheath)  So I tried to clean the stitching with rubbing alcohol.  It took some of my Top Kote and antiquing off. :(  So I tried to rub more of the antiquing off so it would be more uniform.  While I was at it, I removed the brown Edge Kote I didn't really care for.  I think I'd rather have black.   Put on a new layer of Pro Resist as a top layer.  Will let it dry and do a second coat.

Am I happy with my sheath?  Hard to say.  I'm a gal-darned perfectionist, so from that standpoint I'm totally disappointed.   However,  I'll seldom carry this  knife and no-one but "me-I-my-picky-self" will ever see it, so in this case it'll do.  I learned a ton making this sheath.  First off I learned I'll never learn!  By that I mean I always have to start with a project far beyond my experience.  Most of the time I can get away with it..........but this time I didn't.  Second, I think it will be a long, long time before I tackle another stacked sheath.  (WHEW!) :17:

It was a fun project and I thank all of you who contributed input to help me through the process.  I'll do my best to absorb all that was shared and apply it toward the next one.

I'll post a pic tomorrow after the second coat of Pro Resist dries.

57 minutes ago, Chris623 said:

. . . 

Am I happy with my sheath?  Hard to say.  I'm a gal-darned perfectionist, so from that standpoint I'm totally disappointed.   . . .   I learned a ton making this sheath.  First off I learned I'll never learn!  By that I mean I always have to start with a project far beyond my experience.  Most of the time I can get away with it..........but this time I didn't.  Second, I think it will be a long, long time before I tackle another stacked sheath.  

a. We are all constantly learning

b. Its good to aim for perfection but never worry, none of us has ever achieved that (well, I do all the time, B)  ) We just have to accept that our efforts will fall short but at least we tried!

c. By pushing the envelope we learn new things and new ways and discover what we can or cannot do. Its better to try and fail than to sit back and think 'I can't do that'

d. It won't be long till you try again. Its like that old silly saying about falling off a bicycle/horse, get right back on it and try again, and again. . . . 

Alrighty then, here ya go.

I still need to put Black Edge Kote or something similar on the edges.  Think it will look a lot better with the Black handled Buck.

p4028358835-4.jpg\

p4028358836-4.jpg

I already know it's not great, but I'd consider it "not bad" for my first attempt.  I need to buy (ugh!) some more stamps.  I'll sure do a lot of things a lot differently with the next sheath.

I dunno man, all the sudden I feel like I've been punked! That is beautiful work for a 10th sheath, not to mention a first. Your expectation management skills are almost as good as your leather skills. I was totally expecting some Leatherface  from Texas Chainsaw Massacre quality turd and you gave us all a rather exquisite and well executed piece of functional art.

Good on ya. I'd say you have nothing to worry about moving forward.

WHEW!  Glad I didn't post larger pics! :lol:

Thanks, battlemunky.  Like I said, I'm a perfectionist.......literally.  I'm a retired custom furniture builder.............probably one of the few in the country who used a vernier dial caliper more than a tape measure.  (  www.chrischristenberry.com )  I'm super critical about anything I make with my hands.  I guarantee you, if you held that sheath in your hands you'd have much to speak about in negative terms.........as have I.

I'm going to work real hard to make the next sheath one I'll be truly proud to show you guys.  There are so many extremely talented leather workers here on this site.  I'm just trying to absorb all the information I can from all of you.

As battlemunky said, you’ve got nothing to worry about! You’re doing great and it’s clear you have an improvement mindset. You’ll take what you learned over these past few days on this project and I expect you’ll put it all to good use surpassing many of us. I read somewhere, "All things are difficult before they are easy." :thumbsup:

One thing though: we all like to see the knife as well as the sheath - pull it out of there and let’s see it as well!

Edited by Retswerb

Oh, I didn't make the knife..................it's just a Buck 119.  Had mentioned that in the thread and figured everyone had seen one.

15767653346_dd098597f2_b.thumb.jpg.29df940bc60ecbb7fa238aeeceb855e5.jpg

Just wanted to say Chris, I just visited your site.  Your furniture is amazing. Outstanding.

I only dabble in leatherwork and saddle stitching, but also have trouble with the stitches laying down in that consistent "diagonal slash" look. Especially on the back side. lots of people here are top notch at it. Just takes lots of practice and a consistent movement and technique with the needle placement and thread management as you go back and forth.  Your sheath looks excellent to me. I remember the old Buck knife well.

@Chris623, that is some wonderful woodwork Sir. All the curly and tiger maple! Super beautiful. I made a few nightstands and thought I was Bob Villa for a few days but man, your stuff is next level. I love handmade stuff whether its leather or wood or cloth.

Thanks for the accolades, battlemunky.  I've been an artist all my life in one venue or another.  I can't live if I don't create.  Just who I am.

I have a question:  I just put "slick job" on the edges of the sheath.  I dyed the edges the same color I did the sheath.  Then I applied water and slicked to a shine.  I didn't have any saddle soap, so when I lightly Mink Oiled the sheath, I did the same to the edges.  I originally wanted to dye the edges Black...............and would still like to if I've not gone too far to do that.  I saw a fellow on Youtube actually coat the edges of a holster with Black, permanent Sharpie.  Would that work now that I've oiled the sheath, or would it not stick?

It should if you give it a few days to soak in.

"it" being the oil, or "it" being the Black Sharpie?

I'll add 2 cents if I may,  Chris. If it's the video I'm thinking of, he may have only used a Sharpie as the initial darkening agent for the edges. Then sanded, then applied a more suitable product. Sharpie alone won't last, in my view, and the black ink in Sharpies tends to go blueish over time. You could certainly try it over the oil but in my opinion the application of Mink oil is a no-no. Mink oil softens and degrades leather. What you don't want on a sheath or a holster, in my view.  Since you've already oiled, I would obtain a bottle of Fiebing's black leather dye, the alcohol or oil dye, and go over it with that.  Followed by wax and burnishing.

Well, if it makes any difference, I used very little Mink Oil.  But thanks for the Fiebing's dye recommendation.

15 hours ago, Chris623 said:

"it" being the oil, or "it" being the Black Sharpie?

The oil, sorry. The Sharpie will soak in immediately but the oil takes a little bit, at least a few hours or so. I've used Sharpie several times, especially for touch up. I believe it mighta been @YinTx, but I usually use Fiebings dye as edge dressing and then just slick as usual. I've recently started using glycerine saddle soap on a damp edge as well with pretty good effect, whether rubbing with canvas or a slicker.

I don't even own mink oil...

Edited by battlemunky