draker

Consew 225 thread tension adjustments

Hello,

First off I should note I am a sewing novice, but did a fair bit of research on my thread tension issue.

I recently picked up a Consew 225 for some light leather and vinyl work. So far it's been working well but the thread tension adjustments seem a little off. First I'm sewing with #69 thread, and #16 needle. The upper tension adjustment seems like it's pretty tight, even if I back the adjustment off. The lower tension is much looser, and the adjustment screw is tightened all the way. What I'm finding is that the bobbin thread is laying flat. If I just the top tension it will pull it in a bit but I can still see the top of the thread loop. 

I'd like to try to even the tensions out, but it seems like the top tension is too much unless it's backed near all the way off. Maybe I'm getting excessive drag on the top tensioner? Any guidance here would be much appreciated. I'm going to upload a few pictures of my setup.

Use a #18 needle with #69 thread in leather or webbing. Number 16 is for cloth and vinyl.

36 minutes ago, Wizcrafts said:

Use a #18 needle with #69 thread in leather or webbing. Number 16 is for cloth and vinyl.

I'll give it a shot tonight and report back. Thank you!

7 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

I tried a #18 and 20 with the 69 thread. It still behaves the same. I noticed the thread is not down in the bobbin tensioner, you can see it in the pic I posted above. After fiddling with it I was able to get the thread to slide down into the tensioner. Feeling the top and bottom tension the top is still significantly more tight. I can back it out but it is still uneven. I can’t seem to tighten the bottom any more.

here is a few pics of some tests I ran tonight. There are a bunch of runs, note where I’m pointing with the screwdriver. 

F751D7C4-A565-4532-B2BD-7C5F8AAC3524.jpg
46CED5C2-2252-4C30-AA60-FFBAE197EC5F.jpg

DECB3473-7367-4790-BBC1-20928D913788.jpg

B03B06A3-C50D-4D77-A5BD-A6ACFC9E3EBD.jpg

Edited by draker

This machine has a lot of run time. I can see the needle bar thread guide is almost worn completely through. I bought a replacement guide, but I’m wondering if any of the other guides or tensioner are prone to wear that could cause this? Or is this simply a setup and tuning issue?

Have you taken the tensions discs apart yet & looked at them? You might find fuzz from the thread in there & possibly grooves worn in them from the thread.

Edited by CowboyBob

10 hours ago, CowboyBob said:

Have you taken the tensions discs apart yet & looked at them? You might find fuzz from the thread in there & possibly grooves worn in them from the thread.

Just the top most tensioner. I must say it has a lot of tension even when backed out most of the way. I should probably pull the top and bobbin tensioners out to inspect further. I'll do that and report back.

First off, try and get in the habit of threading the three-hole guide (right before the tension assembly) a little differently than what you show in the very 1st picture.  Thread the first hole from top to bottom.  Then either barber pole the other holes from top to bottom, or thread it up-and-down like you've done.  But if you start the first hole top to bottom, it will get the last guide threaded top to bottom as well, which may get the thread down in the tension discs a little better.  

Second, the bobbin tension will always feel way lighter than the upper tension.  That part is normal.  It's confusing because people are always using the term balanced tension.  The tensions do need to result in a balanced stitch (balanced in the middle of your material thickness).  But, this does not mean that pulling on the bobbin thread and pulling on the needle thread will ever feel the same.  They will not.  

Third, you should never have to crank the bobbin tension screw all the way down.  In fact, doing so may give you zero bobbin tension.  Back the screw out, and tighten it little by little until you have light, even bobbin tension.  Then go back and adjust upper tension until you see a balanced stitch in the material.  

Inspecting the upper tension discs may reveal grooves worn into the metal.  Sometimes you can buff them out with emery cloth, but sometimes you have to replace the tension assembly.  

As you do some more test runs, sew two pieces of thin leather together.  Take more pictures and label the sides top and bottom.  

Edited by Pintodeluxe

First thank you very much for the replies so far. They have been super helpful. I popped off the lower tensioner and inspected. Everything looked normal so I put it back together and inspected the upper tensioner. There is a small groove as pictured, could that cause issues? I can replace if needed.

i also rethreaded as suggested, hoping it did it right. I took pics of everything. I did a test on two layers and the results were very good.

BCE37778-2A95-4402-B8BA-095A48FA30E6.jpg
A3B7D967-4BF4-4467-8C30-7CC25E2A971A.jpg
6E3939A5-9349-41AB-9681-5F6F20F1E67E.jpg
57DF8E57-A481-4039-9A3F-71D715F3F271.jpg
4909EF6F-3DB0-4A20-91B6-C16573568E6D.jpg
7A7EDC87-90EA-4C95-8F40-6F6B9B581559.jpg
507A0BBF-6F91-4055-A103-E0DAAA4FABA6.jpg

You can see the groove in the needle bar guide, new one is in the way.

Those tension discs don't look terrible, I think you can save them.  Polish them with very fine emery cloth.  Then buff them with a Scotch brite pad.  I use the maroon colored ones.  

Hopefully that will help.

Replace the cracked thread guide. They are cheap. Just don't lose the tiny top screw that holds it onto the needle bar.

On 10/23/2020 at 7:36 PM, Wizcrafts said:

Replace the cracked thread guide. They are cheap. Just don't lose the tiny top screw that holds it onto the needle bar.

The new one should be here this week. Thanks!

Edited by draker

I have the same problem with a cylinder Singer 153W   Installed a new tensioner completely. Even when I run the tension so tight it's just short of breaking the thread.  I thought perhaps the thread lifting arm was out of time. as far as I can tell it's not adjustable?  My thought is that the foot is out of time , but is moves well keeping the needle centered.  Any Ideas would be helpful. I don't mean to hijack this thread , perhaps I should start a new one?  I'm new here. Frankpkny