WannaBe

When to buy first leather sewing machine

For those in the business of leather working: did you buy your first leather sewing machine after you had established your business or early in the evolution from learning the craft to earning money from the craft.  If you could do it again, would you purchase sooner or later in that evolution?

Thank you all.  This forum is a priceless resource!

Rod

When you are sick of sewing by hand and can afford the machine you need!

G'Day,

@WannaBe I'd already started my business before deciding to get  my first machine. I handstitched everything, but I needed to speed things up . It was a long process before  finally deciding which machine to get.

But I now have 4 machines :)  I still hand stitch, but its hard on my hands these days . 

HS

I would say when you are thinking about buying a machine you are "in the right mood" already. I started buying machines when I had ideas I wanted to accomplish and figured there is not other way than buying a sewing machine. Reminds me of how I started the "binding machine adventure" my 1st try was gluing and then stitching biding tape around edges - terrible result. Then followed by playing around with existing machines then all of a sudden I found a dedicated biding machine and I never want to go back . Little bit different story but a sewing machines really make things a lot easier.

@WannaBe I forgot to answer your last question. I am quite happy as to when I bought my first machine, but I just wish the process was easier, so many machines to choose from ,  I couldn't make my mind up . So I had to focus on what it was I'm going to sew,  in the present and in the future ,  and narrow them down.

But all I can say is, take your time,  choose carefully . 

HS :) 

35 years and I still have no use/desire for a machine.

want a machine but find myself unhappy every time I look at machine sewn leather. It took me a good while to sew good by hand so I'd hate to toss that skill away, so I keep putting it off. Having watched a ton of videos on them there isn't even an argument that if you want to make any real money in leather, you need one. Hand sewing is just super slow and I don't know if its justifiable to a customer on 99% of items. I wrestle with it often. Even typing this my pendulum has swung a few times. For me, it'll probably come down to the right machine at the right price at the right time...when those 3 things line up, it'll be my time and until then, I'll keep pulling needles.

Good luck in your pursuit and let us know what direction you go in.

For me it was when I got more serious about different kinds of holsters.  With a machine I can do the sewing in 5 minutes or less and since this is just a hobby I have enough time to experiment.  I am pretty sure with how long it takes me to hand sew I would not make any to just try something.  Also I know within the leather world we all have an idea where we stand on hand vs machine sewn but in reality I don't think anyone buying leather products knows the difference and if they do they don't care.  Some of them actually prefer the machine stitch since it usually appears more uniform.

Todd

16 hours ago, Rhale said:

When you are sick of sewing by hand and can afford the machine you need!

Yep. My reason right there. Not to mention getting really ticked off at a leather jacket shop for declining running a stitch down a soft gun holster to tighten up the fit. They wanted me to find a cobbler to sew it. 
no thanks I bought a class 4 and did it my self 

17 hours ago, Hildebrand said:

but in reality I don't think anyone buying leather products knows the difference and if they do they don't care.

Bingo!! :yes: Very rarely do I get someone that knows the difference.  Quite often I have to point it out.

@WannaBe So I guess by now you have enough ( perhaps too much)  info on the topic  to make your head spin .  But you do whats best for you

Welcome to the world of leather btw  :) :) 

HS 

I just picked up my second machine. 
Cobra Class 26. thank you Luanne. 

as yo the comment on hand vs machine sewing and knowing the difference. I’d say about 2% of the population that buys leather goods would have a clue & know what to look for. 
that said quality hand stitching can not be reviled.
but I’m over it. I’ll never hand stitch with thread again. 
I’ll buck stitch lace but that’s it. With the addition of a class 26 there is little I can’t handle. 
Shoes! I can’t Goodyear welt stitch a shoe.

but other than that I’m good  

There has been a lot of great advice from the members.  Thank you all for responding.  I have vacillated back and forth for some time and wanted input from the Pro's here.  You helped, probably more than any of you know.  I enjoy stitching by hand, and take pride in my stitching   But, while stitching, I have often wondered if it wouldn't be smarter to just go ahead and get a machine to help crank things out a little faster.   I know if I choose to do more work for hire that I will need to be a lot faster with my projects.  The common sense advice you have given has helped me decide to continue with hand sewing and trying to offer a truly unique bespoke item until such time as my choice of projects and the demand for them requires I move to a more production oriented model.  (Maybe never).

Thank you all again.  This is a wonderful forum with some exceptionally talented individuals who also happen to be kind and generous people.

@WannaBe

No worries mate , you're welcome :thumbsup: 

You'll also notice that many of us have more than one machine . One machine won't do everything . 

The biggie I bought , 441 clone, not only does the heavy leathers, but also has done   some heavy webbing repairs, and an assortment of heavy repairs etc.  .  Just a quick example of  which direction you might go if you buy a machine.  But even that, won't do everything . 

Even though I have 4 machines, I still love handstitching, (as hard as it is on my hands at times ) but machines do help to speed things up a bit.  And,  buying a machine didn't mean I'd b turning my back on handstitching , that has certainly  not been the case, as I once thought  :) 

"I enjoy stitching by hand, and take pride in my stitching"  I like that  :)

Only you know when you are ready . 

HS

Edited by Handstitched

OK the reason for a machine Vs handstitching is well established and accepted but in answer to the question "when do I buy one ", I would say "When you're sure about what you want it for". After faffing around trying to sew light stuff on my Adler I dug out mums old domestic and I love it. It just does the job. No complaints,  zig zag, buttonholes. It does the lot and goes through two layers of thin leather easily. I'm not suggesting you buy a domestic for leather, I'm just highlighting the fact that if you want one machine to do it all you'd better be sure about what the "all" is before you start looking. I know what machine Ill be sewing handbag lining with in future but I won't be getting rid of the adler or the Durkopp.

TO be perfectly honest I will get my first machine when my wife says I can. And not a moment sooner.

3 hours ago, Grumpymann said:

TO be perfectly honest I will get my first machine when my wife says I can. And not a moment sooner.

I'd have to agree, that IS the single most important factor to consider!

- Bill

There’s a lot of learning that can be done on a smaller upholstery model before you actually need a big leather machine.  Without an urgent need, there’s time to bargain shop, maybe even troubleshoot a fixer upper for even less money.    The nice thing about buying a quality used upholstery machine, even at market rate, is after all the practice and as much use as you care to give it, you’ll be able to sell it for what you bought it for.  That’s free..zilch...nadda...zip...

The learning curve going up from upholstery size walking foot machine to 441-class is not much on simple projects....of course the finer points on more difficult projects have learning curves all their own, but you won’t be learning the basics at the same time so even the more difficult challenges will seem more manageable.

Some people discover sewing is more fun than they thought and it opens up all sorts of new projects that aren’t feasible by hand sewing.   Others discover they hate sewing and would rather poke a needle in their eye!  Cheaper to learn on a FREE upholstery machine, than to take a $1000 hit in the depreciation of a big machine and all the related toys.