JeannieH

Source for Korean glue star bond

Hi! I’ve been hunting for this Korean glue that I see used overseas. It isn’t sold online. Are there any Korean leather workers on here that can help me out? Or anyone else that knows the product!

its called star bond 950(yellow one) and star bond b5(beige one).

it looks so easy to spread from what I’ve sent and the consistency is very nice looking. 

There's been lots of talk about glues here on the forums but I don't recall anyone ever discussing the Chilsung products.

I've seen these glues used in the YouTube videos and was also impressed with how easily it seems to spread. And I've wondered if it was an inherent characteristic of the glue or if it was simply thinned out to that consistency.

You've probably already seen this but here's a link to the manufacturer's website: http://www.starbond.co.kr/eng/product/product_list.php?part=1

If you go to this link, you could send them an inquiry to see where it's available: http://www.starbond.co.kr/eng/customer/inquiry.php

Please, keep us posted with what you learn.

Regards,

Arturo

2 hours ago, Arturomex said:

There's been lots of talk about glues here on the forums but I don't recall anyone ever discussing the Chilsung products.

I've seen these glues used in the YouTube videos and was also impressed with how easily it seems to spread. And I've wondered if it was an inherent characteristic of the glue or if it was simply thinned out to that consistency.

You've probably already seen this but here's a link to the manufacturer's website: http://www.starbond.co.kr/eng/product/product_list.php?part=1

If you go to this link, you could send them an inquiry to see where it's available: http://www.starbond.co.kr/eng/customer/inquiry.php

Please, keep us posted with what you learn.

Regards,

Arturo

Thank you. I did come across their website and emailed but never got a response. I will try again and update of I hear back from someone.

Hopefully they can find somebody in the company who is comfortable enough in English to correspond with you. 
I suspect that they do very little business in the English speaking world. 

13 minutes ago, DJole said:

Hopefully they can find somebody in the company who is comfortable enough in English to correspond with you. 
I suspect that they do very little business in the English speaking world. 

Ok yes I didn’t think about that. Well what would you guys suggest as next best? Right now I use Renia aquilim for holding parts together on the body of my bags..and weld wood contact cement for flying the base..it’s so stinky and I’m trying to replace it because I want to breathe freely while gluing and not getting high!

Just a guess, but I’m thinking it may well be cost prohibitive to bring any of that over, even if they could/would sell it to you. I bring material over from Korea and that is very pricy. A flammable liquid would be more so I’m sure. 

27 minutes ago, JeannieH said:

Ok yes I didn’t think about that. Well what would you guys suggest as next best? Right now I use Renia aquilim for holding parts together on the body of my bags..and weld wood contact cement for flying the base..it’s so stinky and I’m trying to replace it because I want to breathe freely while gluing and not getting high!

TBH, I think that Aquilim as about as good as it gets with water-based contact cements. As you've found there are many applications where it's not suitable, and if there were some way of making a water-based glue that works as well as the high-VOC glues, Renia would be all over that like a rash. Simply put, the "nastier" the solvents the more effective it is as a glue. If you don't need such a powerful glue you might be able to find one locally with reduced fumes. Try DIY/hardware stores.

If you like it (apart form the fumes) you may be better off finding new ways to deal with the fumes of the Barge stuff. I work with high-VOC glues in enclosed spaces a lot and find that simple measures improve things massively. The biggest single one was fitting a small extractor fan (like you'd get in a kitchen or bathroom) in the window behind my workbench. I wear a 3M respirator rated for organic solvents when using larger quantities, close the glue/solvent pot ASAP, and force myself to take regular breaks in the fresh air. If the weather were more reliable where I live I would have an outdoor glue bench for maximum ventilation. Even with the ventilation the fumes are still noticeable and I'm working from a dedicated workshop rather than my kitchen so how useful this advice is may vary depending on your situation but these measures let me use the super effective glues that I need for my business without much discomfort.

19 minutes ago, Matt S said:

TBH, I think that Aquilim as about as good as it gets with water-based contact cements. As you've found there are many applications where it's not suitable, and if there were some way of making a water-based glue that works as well as the high-VOC glues, Renia would be all over that like a rash. Simply put, the "nastier" the solvents the more effective it is as a glue. If you don't need such a powerful glue you might be able to find one locally with reduced fumes. Try DIY/hardware stores.

If you like it (apart form the fumes) you may be better off finding new ways to deal with the fumes of the Barge stuff. I work with high-VOC glues in enclosed spaces a lot and find that simple measures improve things massively. The biggest single one was fitting a small extractor fan (like you'd get in a kitchen or bathroom) in the window behind my workbench. I wear a 3M respirator rated for organic solvents when using larger quantities, close the glue/solvent pot ASAP, and force myself to take regular breaks in the fresh air. If the weather were more reliable where I live I would have an outdoor glue bench for maximum ventilation. Even with the ventilation the fumes are still noticeable and I'm working from a dedicated workshop rather than my kitchen so how useful this advice is may vary depending on your situation but these measures let me use the super effective glues that I need for my business without much discomfort.

Ok those are good things for me to try. I have a sewing room outside (shares a door with a bigger workshop/tool shed) and it’s an insulated room with two windows...about 500 sqft. Maybe I can rearrange things to have my glue station in front of the window and open it when glueing..maybe a table can to blow out may help. I will look for a mask for the fumes as well. The water based glue is not good at all for glueing reinforcement to the base. Thanks for your suggestions and I will give them a try.

47 minutes ago, Hockeymender said:

Just a guess, but I’m thinking it may well be cost prohibitive to bring any of that over, even if they could/would sell it to you. I bring material over from Korea and that is very pricy. A flammable liquid would be more so I’m sure. 

Yes you are more than likely right. I will just have to work with what’s available here then. 

I use the Toluene-free Barge cement. (I located it on Amazon: "Barge All-Purpose TF Cement Rubber, Leather, Wood, Glass, Metal Glue 2 oz")
I think using it in a well-ventilated space is still a good idea. 
I don't think I've ever actually tried the "real" stuff before. 

On 10/22/2020 at 2:56 PM, JeannieH said:

You wont like starbond then; stinky as they get. SB950 is a Chloeoprene rubber based adhesive which works really well. The problem is getting it into the US. Its almost impossible these days. However, as Renia Colla De Cologne contact cement is probably just as good, and readily available  in the US. Super stinky with a similar pot life. These adhesives flash off quickly once exposed to UV and air.. I've tried MANY brands of adhesive including water based... I always go back to the stinky stuff.. One trick I used to use with WeldWood - I'd leave the cap off of the bottle and stir it up a bit every so often. Once it gets a little thicker it behaves similarly to SB950.

https://www.cleanersupply.com/Tailoring/Garment-Construction-Notions/Interfacing-Tapes-Adhesives/leather-vinyl-double-sided-bastinghemming-tape-clear/?sku=TPE14

Way cheaper than anywhere else I've found it.  Widths up 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 & 1" ZERO odor.  Just hammer it down before stitching... it will hold (light duty) without stitch.

On 2/25/2021 at 3:55 PM, SeattleGarth said:

You wont like starbond then; stinky as they get. SB950 is a Chloeoprene rubber based adhesive which works really well. The problem is getting it into the US. Its almost impossible these days. However, as Renia Colla De Cologne contact cement is probably just as good, and readily available  in the US. Super stinky with a similar pot life. These adhesives flash off quickly once exposed to UV and air.. I've tried MANY brands of adhesive including water based... I always go back to the stinky stuff.. One trick I used to use with WeldWood - I'd leave the cap off of the bottle and stir it up a bit every so often. Once it gets a little thicker it behaves similarly to SB950.

Ok thank you!

On 3/22/2021 at 12:06 PM, Ole South said:

https://www.cleanersupply.com/Tailoring/Garment-Construction-Notions/Interfacing-Tapes-Adhesives/leather-vinyl-double-sided-bastinghemming-tape-clear/?sku=TPE14

Way cheaper than anywhere else I've found it.  Widths up 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 & 1" ZERO odor.  Just hammer it down before stitching... it will hold (light duty) without stitch.

Thanks for that info! I will check it out!

On 10/22/2020 at 5:09 PM, JeannieH said:

Hi! I’ve been hunting for this Korean glue that I see used overseas. It isn’t sold online. Are there any Korean leather workers on here that can help me out? Or anyone else that knows the product!

its called star bond 950(yellow one) and star bond b5(beige one).

it looks so easy to spread from what I’ve sent and the consistency is very nice looking. 

hello, i sell Starbond 950 and B5 250ml jars for 25 GBP each excluding postage from UK..I bought 15 litre container from South Korea 

please contact me paulo2008dias@gmail.com if interested 

thank you Paulo

i sell Starbond 950 and B5 250ml jars for 25 GBP each excluding postage from UK..I bought 15 litre container from South Korea 

please contact me paulo2008dias@gmail.com if interested 

thank you Paulo